Jan 19, 2017

Mixed Media Butterfly Vignette

We are sharing our favorite IndigoBlu stamps in our projects this month on the IndigoBlu blog.  By far, Flutterby is my favorite!  I altered a wooden vignette box, using a variety of IndigoBlu paints.  I embossed Vintage Flourish in copper along the perimeter of the box.  I adhered my stamped butterfly over a bed of shredded book page for texture.  I painted the wooden cutout with Miss Moneypennny Copper paint.  This small project will be a perfect inspirational display for my office.  Thanks for visiting today!

Jan 18, 2017

Winter Wood and Deer Mixed Media Card

With wintry days visiting us, I decided to cozy up in my studio and create a woodland scene featuring the fantastic Arched Fir Branch die.  I'm sharing all of the details on the Tutti Design blog today, so do hop over for a closer look.  I absolutely love this scripture stamp by Verve, but I had to cut off the reference (Psalm 150:6) to fit it into my Nesting Stitched Circle die.  The deer is by Penny Black.  I won a little shopping spree from one of their recent Facebook giveaways and just had to have him!  Thanks for your visit today!  Hugs, Autumn

I'm also sharing with: 

Jan 16, 2017

Snow Days Mixed Media Junk Journal Spread

It's time for a new challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!  This week's theme is Chill Out.  My regular followers know I love making cardboard junk journals.  I love working on cardboard with mixed media!  Nothing screams "chill-axing" to me like sitting at my art table and making an inky mess in my journal!

Again, I'm so thankful to SSS for the opportunity to be in the SSS Designer Spotlight!  What an amazing way to start off 2017 for me!  Thanks to each of you for your kind comments and visits.  <3

For these pages, I tore off a good bit of my top layer to reveal the corrugated surface.  I gave it a light coat of gesso and then created an inky background with Distress Inks.  I rubbed them on my craft mat, then sprayed with water to create fluid ink.  I applied several layers of various colors, spritzing water directly onto my pages to blend and heat setting before adding additional layers to "set" the inks.  I stamped a Prima text stamp randomly around both pages.

My sweet friend Madelyn (love ya girl!) shared this awesome holey tape with me and I applied it before inking.  The color pooled within the circles.

I used the Holiday Knit stencil and texture paste in the background and fussy cut these adorable chaps from the Found Relatives Occasions set.

I tore strips of paper and added some washi tape to give them a larger mound of snow to rest upon.  I added one of Tim's sticker sentiments, which reminded me of the fun my brother and I had on our trips to Grandma's house!  :)  I layered Paper Snowflake die cuts all over and then mixed mica flakes and clear glass beads with Mod Podge and spread all over the pages randomly.  Mod Podge has to air dry, so never try to rush it along with your heat tool, but the result is always worth the wait.

I had to add the token string bundle, here in silver.  A couple of Kraft Core metallic snowflakes to tie it all in.  I splashed the whole page with Vintage Photo to further grunge it up, maybe I got carried away, but it was fun and totally CHILL!  I hope it will inspire you to get inky today!

As always, a $50 gift voucher is up for grabs to one lucky participant of this week's challenge!   

Jan 9, 2017

Altered Scrabble Board Mixed Media Collage for Simon Says Stamp

Welcome to my week 2 post for my guest stint at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.  This week's challenge theme is Be Square.  I chose my favorite square substrate from my tutorial HERE on making a handmade book from an old Scrabble board game.

I am enjoying working alongside of the talented team at the Monday Challenge so much!  Thanks again for the offer.  Please check out the other designers blogs for more inspiration.

First I gessoed the printed tile side of my Scrabble board section.  Next, I used Distress Inks and Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays to add some color.  I stamped Tim's hexagon stamps randomly with various Archival inks.  I lightly coated a smaller square of corrugated board with gesso, then colored it with sprays and my blue Distress Crayon.  I laid it onto the other board and used my black Distress Crayon to give it an outline or shadow.

I layered a found relative with some basket filler over the cardboard, tucking in some bundled string, linen ribbon, and die cut doilies.  I use Beacon 3-in-1 adhesive for these types of projects.  Here you see a small section of tissue tape added over the background.

I tucked a snipet of an old library card from my friend Mimi in there for fun, thanks Mimi!  The book title was The Snow Princess.  The silver medallion is by Finnabair for Prima.  The gold snowflake is part of a costume jewelry necklace that broke off.  I found it later on my art room floor (shocker!) and thought it would now become a neat piece of ephemera.

I based my collage around this verse, which I cling to, "And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."  Romans 5:5 (NIV)  My "hope" plaque is a variation on Brenda's awesome antique enameled number plates found HERE.  I used Tim's Celebration die set.  Next time I would cut out the word before embossing, because some of the EP flaked off - but let's just say that adds to the vintage look.  ;0

I decided to add some sparkle for contrast to tie in with the charm.  I added a couple of brass star brads and flecks of gold Color Bloom spray.  I mixed glitter with Mod Podge and brushed it randomly around the panel.  A final addition of the stamped stitching from the patchwork stamp set and some white gesso splatters completed the project.  I hope it is an inspiration to you!

Join in this week's challenge for a chance to win a $50 Simon Says Stamp gift voucher!