Sep 2, 2015

DIY Smash Book Journal for Fall


Years ago I sold handmade DIY Smash book journals on Etsy.  I had the best time making these and just had to revisit!!!  I love using my scraps of paper and ephemera to fill these amazing books.  I wanted a special gratitude journal to use for fall, since it is the season of reflection and Thanksgiving.  This is what I came up with.  It has just that perfect amount of golden yellow for the Frilly and Funkie Challenge, a touch of gold.


I make my Smash books with old book covers and this herringbone printed Reader's Digest was screaming at me to be made into a journal.  I always use two rings for binding because it is easier to turn the pages with two rings as opposed to three rings.


I layered a Making Memories frame over a stamped leaf by Stampers Anonymous for Tim Holtz.  I stamped it on Kraft and sponged it for the color.  I stamped the pretty typewriter font stamp in permanent black and painted the letters on with acrylic paint.  I layered in there a hymnal strip that reminds me that all good and perfect things come from God.  I sponged it a little along the edge.


The frame was glued after I cut an actual hole for a window in the cover.  I did this carefully with an Xacto.  I sanded the rough edges and made a frame from washi tape so the inside would be pretty.


I added more stamping and some prefab labels and stickers.  The bird is an image from Graphics Fairy, but I don't have the link.  The girl is one that I made after taking Christy Tomlinson's She Art class.  I made tons of magnets with her as the focal point for a swap.  I photocopied that and cut it down so I could use her again in my book.  Something I really want to do more of!!!


I added the fruit of the spirit stamp along the bottom and made her some wings from a SU! leaf stamp.


 A bit of vintage lace makes her cozy in her new home!


These books are so much fun to create.  I hope you'll be inspired to enjoy a season of thankfulness and to create something to express it.


Gotta love that birdie...


So much to be thankful for, especially freedom from the bondage of sin in Christ Jesus.


Many, many pages to complete, but that is the point!  I can't wait to play in this journal some more and will share along the way.  I'm linking to Frilly and Funkie for their Touch of Gold Challenge HERE and to SSS Work it Wednesday for their Fall Challenge HERE.

5 comments:

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Hi, Autumn! It's Kathy from Kathy by Design. I just wanted to pop over to thank you for the lovely comment you left on my blog. (The Heartfelt Creations Alumni Team Blog Hop Post). I've taken a look at your lovely work, and I just love your style. Your smash book is just filled with life and movement, and you have such a great eye for color. I'm glad you stopped by my blog, and I look forward to visiting you again soon! Cheerio!

Janet said...

Your journal is so pretty. Autumn is, and always has been, my favorite time of year. How nice that it's your name!!

Mary Brack said...

Love this, Autumn!

Giggles said...

Wonderful job, autumn is my favorite time of year!! Gorgeous work!

Hugs Giggles

Jenny Marples said...

A fantastically executed smash book! Love those autumnal shades. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

Popular Posts