Nov 23, 2015

Rustic Plaid Christmas Cards

card 1

In my whirlwind of a weekend, I finally settled in last night and worked on some projects.  My son had a severe allergy that landed him in the hospital Friday night - what a scare people!  He is well, but I was so shook up I could hardly function come Saturday.  Also, I have decided to begin focusing my work on more mixed media.  I enjoy it so much and even have some exciting news to share with you soon in that regard.  Nevertheless, I was so inspired by Julee's card for this week's VLV sketch and just had to play!  This is my second card, just couldn't quit!

Viva la Verve November 2015 Week 3 Sketch designed by Charmaine Ikach | vlvsketches.blogspot.com

This is my favorite sketch so far, folks!  Love it!

card 2

I decided to use this beautiful hymnal strip, Close to Thee.  Trust me when life comes at you like a ton of bricks and you are helpless, like I was seeing my son react so quickly to something he breathed in, the best place you can be is close to the Father...

card 3

I really wish I had more Christmas stamps from Verve.  They are just the best!  I found this cool charcoal vintage twill for a dime when we went to the mountains a few weeks ago.  The snowflake dies are a recent Tuesday Morning score by Darcie's.

card 4

Now for my first card last, I thought these trees would work beautifully in the sketch, but I'm not sure now.  They were a little too big or too spaced out.  I pounced Distress paint over them to create the faux snow effect.

card 5

I added some of my DIY Tattered and Dyed Ribbon for a natural effect.

card 6

I love just barely adhering elements to my cards, love the dimension it creates.  I realize this tears some people's nerves up (MOTHER!)  Ha, but I can't resist.

card 7

No matter what you do this Christmas, make room for Jesus in your heart.  I'm sharing the love with VLV for the November Week 3 challenge HERE, with The Card Concept for their Festive Glory challenge HERE, with Word Art Wednesday #210 HERE, with SSS for their Christmas challenge HERE, and with Christmas Card Challenges #51 HERE.

Festive Glory
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

28 comments:

brenda said...

Our little ones do give us some scares Autumn, mine are grown up little ones but I still fret about them, only normal I guess.

Love the tartans on today's cards and both have lovely textures and elements of interest.

B x

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful cards! Love the mix of pretty papers and all the distressing!

Meihsia Liu said...

Hi, Autumn, these cards are awesome! I love the beautiful layers of embellishments and the great sentiments. :)

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Gorgeous!!! LOVE the plaid! LOVE the layers and die cuts too.

JoAnn said...

Beautiful cards. I really like the first one with the plaid and layers.
Sorry to hear about your son, but thankful that he is o.k. and that you are better. I know it must be a scary thing. God Bless
Oh, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your lovely comment.

Unknown said...

I really like the tartan and Close to Thee music score. Thank you so much for taking time to post your very creative art with us this week at Word Art Wednesday in our 210th AG challenge! Blessings, Carole

Mimi said...

I love both of these. .. can't decide which I love more! Autumn, my oldest has severe tree nut allergies... it's so scary. My heart goes out to you-- truly. Feel free to email and get it all out... been there.

Ann Chuang Crafts said...

Beautiful cards. I love both of these and love the beautiful layers of embellishments!!

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Autumn - I hear you with the allergy thing - my DGD is a sensitive wee soul too, and it can be scary, and you are right that the best place is close to the Father!
Love that sentiment, and your cards are fabulous
Blessings
Maxine

Jinny Newlin said...

Ooooo! I just love your plaid backgrounds and those fabulous, sentiment panels! Gorgeous distress work, too! Simply beautiful!

Pamellia said...

Oh my gosh, these are gorgeous Autumn!! I love plaid and you have created two wonderful cards with great plaid backgrounds and amazing colour palettes! Excellent vintage feel to these, love em both! hugs :)

Petra Swart said...

So sorry to hear about your son, Autumn - hope he is feeling much better by now!!!!!
You have really done well to have that wonderful sentiment shine!!! Love your lovely bgs, the twine bows, the corrugated cardboard, the papers you've used - everything is just beautiful!!!!
Have a wonderful day!!!!!

craftytrog said...

Glad your little boy is ok Autumn!
These cards are fabulous, I love the plaid!
Hugs,
Alison xx

Julie Gearinger said...

Oh my, what a scare with your son and we are so thankful that he is OK :-) Love, love , love both of your cards- so heartfelt and warm!! Thanks for sharing with us at The Card Concept- hugs and have a blessed Thanksgiving!!

Marlena M. said...

That IS scary...I'm so glad he (and you) are ok now. Lovely card and amen on your post~there is no greater resting place than the Lord. Ps...Tuesday Morning is the BEST for hidden scrapbook materials, isn't it?!

coldwaters2 said...

These are quite simply beautiful Autumn, I really love the tartan papers also that wonderful sentiment, excellent cards
hugs
lorraine x

Virginia L. said...

Beautiful and textured!! Love the warm and homespun feel that your cards evokes! So glad that you join the fun over Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Christmas” Challenge!

Lynne Moncrieff said...

I can imagine the scare you got, so glad your son is better now.
Autumn, I love the feelings and image which are conjured up as I view those creations, of cozy log fires and snuggly sweaters and steaming mugs of hot chocolate and definitely a beautiful sense of nostalgia.
Absolutely love the homespun style.
Wishes
Lynne

Lilian said...

Gorgeous! Love both cards...the textures and embellishments!
Thank you for joining us at The Card Concept!
Lilian
The Leaf Studio

Jo Ann said...

Great job on both cards...I love the distressing! Anyway, thank you so much for sharing your wonderful project with us this week at Word Art Wednesday. Leaving you with the encouragement of God's Word in Psalm 27:1 which says, "The Lord is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid?" Hugs and blessings!

JO ANN
http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

nwilliams6 said...

Glad your son is better - I know that was scary!!! Your cards are wonderful!!!! Love the darker plaid the best - wonderful colors, textures, and design! Wow. Hugz

Karen Dunbrook said...

I love plaid...reminds me of a simpler time....great cards for the holidays.
hugs,
Karen

Pawsitively Creative said...

Oh dear. Anaphylactic reactions are scary. I have had a few. I do hope he is doing well now. Your designs are both gorgeous and so very perfectly executed with wonderous amounts of festive cheer. Love the plaid! Isn't mixed media fun! Awesome sauce color choices and layers. Wowzers! Happy Holidays! ~Niki

Words and Pictures said...

They're both wonderful - to my surprise I'm really taken with the black and red version - there's something so elegant and traditional about it. I do hope your son is completely recovered now - what a frightening thing.
Alison xx

AB. said...

These are so lovely! I adore the rich textures and the music print.Thanks for joining us at The Card Concept this week.

maria f. said...

Congrats on your shout out at Card Concept. Your card is exquisite! The plaid is so trendy, the snowflakes surrounding the sentiment such a wonderful design element, and all the texture is divine!

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

These are both just scrumptious! Love all your exquisite little details. Thanks for playing along with VLV!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Just beautiful! And I LOVE the plaid!

Popular Posts