Jun 24, 2017

Beginners Tutorial Mixed Media Coffee Art


Hiya coffee lovers!  Today I have a fun project to share with you.  I realize so many of you blog hoppers are intimidated by creating mixed media projects, but many of you have told me how much you enjoy reading about my processes.  With that in mind, I came up with a simple DIY home decor project tutorial just for you.


I had an idea of what size I wanted my finished project to be, so I cut two pieces of heavy chipboard down to 5x10".  This size was perfect because it worked well with my last full sheet of burlap paper, which I really wanted to include.  ;0  To cut chipboard, I use an old paper cutting blade (which I mark as OLD with a sharpie, not to confuse) in my standard paper cutter.  First I cut at the right size on one side, then flip my panel upside down and cut at the same size on the back.  You can use scissors to even up any frayed edges.  I also sand lightly along my edges with fine sandpaper.


I glued the two pieces together with Beacon 3-1 glue.  This glue is perfect for mixed media because it has a little give before it dries.  If I put a flower in the wrong place, I have about a minute to push it where it should go.  It has a super hold once dry, similar to hot glue.  (But it smells...)


I wrapped the edges of my panels with Tim Holtz tissue tape.  His new line of tapes are super adhesive, unlike washi, but have the same transparency.  Burnish your tape well.  I also sand mine with fine sandpaper to remove some shine.  Alternatively, you could adhere paper at this point and wrap around the edges.  Use what you have and just go for it!


I cut a third chipboard panel to 4 1/2 x 9 1/2" to use to raise my burlap panel.  I sponged the burlap and tissue tape with Distress Oxide in Vintage Photo.  You could use any permanent brown ink you have on hand.


I was dying to test out Tim's new cling foam stamps.  I put a little black gesso on a cosmetic sponge (see you DO have the tools you need for mixed media!) and applied to my stamps.  I had a wet baby wipe on hand to quickly clean them.  I used a ruler to find the center point of my panel, then stamped my letters accordingly.


You could definitely use cheap black acrylic paint for this part, but paint is a must when stamping onto such a heavily textured surface.  Look how cool!  It reminds me of a vintage coffee sack.


I used an awl and mouse pad to pierce the corners of my layers and inserted four brads.


I cut my die cuts from thin chipboard.  I painted the dies with Prima Patina Effects paint.  It is a textured paint, which you can also use as stencil paste.  You could use cheap acrylic paint if you like.


I added in a Tim Holtz sticker sentiment.


Last, I attached a loopy bow and handmade flower.  I have a flower tutorial HERE if you're interested.  You could certainly use a purchased flower.


If you want to get started, but need one or two things, I've provided links to each item below for your convenience.  You will enjoy shopping at the Funkie Junkie Boutique and may just get hooked on mixed media after all!  Thanks for visiting.  I truly appreciate it!

To see my other coffee creations click HERE!




I'm sharing with:

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

33 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Gorgeous project, this is definitely something for my coffee-loving heart! Hugs, Valerie

Georgiana said...

Looks awesome and your pictorial is perfect to show the process.

Marty F said...

This is an awesome tutorial for mixed media, Autumn, and just plain beautiful! Love the texture of that Prima patina - wow! Can't wait for more of your coffee tomorrow :-) Hugs!!

Michele K. Henderson said...

Great tutorial! I love this amazing color combination too!
Take care!
Michele

Lisa said...

Absolutely stunning, Autumn!! I love the pop of colors!! Your tutorial is fabulous, too!! Love, love it, my friend!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Julia Aston said...

what a great coffee wall hanging Autumn! A wonderful tutorial on how too! Julia xx

Sylvia said...

Autumn, Love this project. The soft ribbon and the turquoise cup work well together. Sylvia D.

Heidi said...

This is one of the few none card hops for this blog hop, awesome: your project is gorgeous, love the fun step by step pictures!

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous project and great step by step
Carol x

Echo said...

This is fabulous! I am so intimidated by mixed media...lol.

~amy~ said...

Such a GORGEOUS project Autumn! I LOVE it.

Mimi said...

How cool, Autumn! I always appreciate your descriptions of products... i could read about adhesives all day! 😂 (No... really... this is why I love you!)

Jackie PN said...

Thank you for this tutorial! I just love how you put things together so seamlessly! How did you get your canvas edges so clean?
Beautiful work Autumn!
Jackie xo
ps..I am playing catch-up, so you'll see a lot of me today! heehee

Tracey said...

Yep...I'm one of those who is intimidated! Thank you for the Fabulous tutorial! Love your project!

Lori Kobular said...

Gorgeous! Love all the different textures!

Becca Yahrling said...

Oh, I love mixed media! I've only done a few pieces, but they've been my favorite. Just like your projects here are always my favorite. :-)

Susan said...

This is a great tutorial for beginners! And what a fantastic idea to layer cardboard for a "canvas." Love those alpha stamps - I have a really old Making Memories set that looks very similar.

Tee said...

I got try this! I love the cling foam stamped "coffee" It took to the burlap material nicely! Great project!

Hetty said...

Wow, Autumn, this is totally awesome. Love this burlap panel.

Shelly said...

Oh, this is gorgeous!

Fikreta said...

its gorgeous!

Verna Angerhofer said...

Beautiful home decor design.

Tink said...

This is just BEAUTIFUL!

Helen Wallace said...

This looks like some of the ephemera in my favourite roasting beans outlet here in Australia. The stamped hessian is wonderful.

Cynthia Cole said...

Such a fabulous coffee themed project!

Lisa said...

So beautiful! Thanks for all of the pics and showing your process!

Ldybg93 said...

This came out so great - love it!!

Words and Pictures said...

What a great home decor piece - my favourite thing is how those patina flourishes zing against the burlap background. A fabulous inspiration for mixed media beginners.
Alison x

Brenda Brown said...

Another gorgeous coffee design au, love it xxx

Helen F. said...

Totally awesome project!

Ann said...

Beautiful details. Turned out great.

sarascloset said...

Autumn, you wrote a wonderful tutorial, and your end product turned out amazing! I love the patina pastes on your flourishes and tea cup! And as always, your hm flower and loopy bow are gorgeous! Well done, you!

Stempelomi said...

great project! Thanks for joining us at cards und more and good luck! Hugs,Beate

Popular Posts