Aug 21, 2018

Bright and Cheery Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Cards


Hey friends!  I don't know what's come over me lately, but I've taken a little sidestep from my typical grungy makes and done some bright and cheery cards.  One of my sweet Instagram followers commented that she never used Distress Inks because she associated them with dark/distress and prefers brighter colors.  To that I replied, I certainly understand where her thoughts are based, but the colors are pure and it's all in the way you layer them.  So I posted THIS shaker card and THIS atypical masculine card as examples.  I've taken that a few steps further with three cheery designs today...


I used Fossilized Amber and Blueprint Sketch Distress Oxides to create my inky panels for this card.  I stamped an image from the Tim Holtz Sideshow set and the Theories set.  The small text is from Tim's Simple Sayings set.  The "happy" die is from the new Shadow Script #2 dies I'm so crazy over.


I truly love how Distress Oxide stamping looks!  I always give my image a fine mist with water before making the impression.


I went a little crazy with the stitching, but love the fun edge it gives to these designs.



My second card features another image from the Sideshow stamp set.  I used Blueprint Sketch DOX for the background and on the foreground panel added a tiny bit of Antique Linen DOX.


Again borrowing Madelyn's Simple Sayings for this sentiment, layered over a string bundle.  The xx (kisses) marks come from one of Tim's On The Edge dies.  I cut the bottom of my stamped panel with the scallop border from the Stitched Ovals die.


To add interest to the background, I cut bubbles from the Mixed Media die set and did some wonky stitching.  I added one tiny torn strip of black dotty washi tape to balance the design.



My final card features white embossing of the gears in the Dapper stamp set.  I used the above mentioned inks with the addition of Cracked Pistachio DOX.


I embossed the gentleman from the Dapper set in black for the tag and added a sentiment combo of Simple Sayings and a Shadow Script 2 die.


This cool set belongs to my friend Bonnie and I was so excited to use it for the first time!  I finished my card with a bit of tissue tape, stitching and splashed gesso/water.  I know not all of you have gone to the dark side like me - ha ha ha, but I truly hope you'll give Distress Inks and Oxides a chance.  I have hundreds of pads and these are the ones I ALWAYS use.  In fact, they just sit on my tabletop because I have to access them easily for everything I make.  Now go on and get inky my friends!

19 comments:

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Your so right Autumn, the D'ox can be just as bright and beautiful as they can be grungy. We can make them what every we choose to make them as there is a vast array of colours to choose from.
I love those yellows and blues, they give such crisp freshness to the design. Those stitched edges frame them all so neatly.
I especially love the Make a Wish Card with it's symbolic yellow ribbon.
Beautiful and encouraging, I hope more people realise that there is so much to create with these fabulous pads and bottles of colour.
Thank you for sharing lovely.
Big Hugs Tracey xx

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Autumn these are gorgeous - love the blue and yellow combination and the artsy look you have given these fabulous cards
Blessings
Maxine

Marjan said...

Took some time off blogging in my summervacation and missed a lot. But I'm back again and always love visiting your blog. These cards are wonderful, I especially love the tag with the bowler hat and wish in yellow! Wonderful layering on all of them and beautiful details!

Linda Kunsman said...

These are gorgeous cards Autumn!! I do love how versatile the DOX inks truly are.

Paula Cheney said...

Great cards using the Oxides! Love the bright colors!

Lisa said...

Wow, they are all so stunning, Autumn!! You've used the DO's perfectly!! The colors are amazing!! I love the designs and details of each one!! I especially love the make a wish card...I love how that yellow really pops against the gorgeous background!! Stunning makes, my friend!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

SD pooja said...

Wow I loved the bright colors and lovely stitching on your cards ,they look fantastic.

Redanne said...

LOVING these cards Autumn, the bright colours are right up my street, they are happy, cheery and make me smile! Each card is a little work of art - fabulous makes!! Hugs, Anne xx

Susan said...

I must say, Autumn, you totally rock the bright and cheery just as well as you do the grungy! These are great cards!

Helen Wallace said...

Yay! She works in BLUE! my absolute favourite colour and you've teemed it beautifully with that citrus yellow for a kapow! impact. Quite amazing, as all your work is, but these are sensational.

Paper Profusion said...

Oh my goodness! I love that you have come over all bright and cheerful!! These are wonderful Autumn! The black stitching gives extra contrast and oomph as well! Thank-you for a boost of happy! Nicola x

Kate Yetter said...

I love the bright colored ink you used as the focal point on your cards. The black is such a great contrast. These cards are so fun and definitely put a smile on my face. Beautiful art as always, Autumn.
Kate

Ellibelle said...

Such fabulous creations Autumn. Love all the inkiness and gorgeous stamps!

ann barnes said...

I truly love reading your posts Autumn, firstly because your work is always incredible and secondly you are continuously showing me new ways to use products that may have sifted their way to the bottom of my pile or I have forgotten about. These cards are so bright and cheerful, they would absolutely bring happiness to anyone that would receive them! Love your work! xx

Paper Wishes said...

Love these cards and what you have done with the bright colours. The blueprint really looks glorious with the brighter colours. I always seem bring out the purple in it the real primary zing you have brought out is great. Full of summer fun. x

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow Autumn! I love all of these cards and totally agree that there are some super bright colours in Distress Oxides!
Sorry to have been such a poor visitor of late!
Hugs, Chrisx

sarascloset said...

Three shining examples of just how versatile these inks can be! I love how you tied it in to your IG comment. BEAUTIFUL cheerful cards, my friend! You rock! Hugs!

Words and Pictures said...

Great to see the Distress brights taking a bow - and they look spectacular on your two wonderful cards.
Alison x

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow!! These cards are fabulous Autumn!! Love, love, love the blue and yellow colour combo and the designs are wonderful!! I don't have any Distress Oxides in my stash but, the more I see of them, the more I want them. You have certainly proven that they are can be bright and fabulous!! hugs x

Popular Posts