Apr 26, 2021

Hemingway and the Sea Altered Tim Holtz Journal

 

Hello friends!  I'm back with my final project as April guest designer for the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.  This week I am sharing my favorite project, one that really means a lot to me, an altered journal with a quote by Ernest Hemingway from The Old Man and the Sea.  The theme for this week's challenge is Add a Quote and this is one that I love...


I was super excited to see the release of Tim Holtz's new Ideaology Backdrops.  I don't know about you, but I wish Tim would release paper regularly.  I miss getting new 12x12 packs!  I was excited that these sheets were just long enough that I could use them to alter a composition notebook.  I use these notebooks regularly for jotting down sketches of stamp projects and home decor and even for brush lettering practice.  So I always enjoy creating my next altered cover, since I go through them so quickly.  If you haven't read The Old Man and the Sea, you can grab it by clicking the photo below.  It is a story of persistence and a man's purpose and one I read during the early days of Covid.  I used tiny alphabet stamps for the quote and lots of layers that reminded me of the story.


I chose a set of the new Paper Doll Groups, boys who reminded me of dock workers from the book.  I then stamped fish from Tim's Sea Life stamp set onto scrap inky paper.  I added detail with a white paint pen, then gave them a brush of mica powder for an authentic fish scale look. 

I crafted a fish hook from jewelry wire and painted it with black gesso.  The boys were sanded and tinted lightly with Distress Inks.  I splashed everything with watery gesso to add a sea spray feel.

I used a piece of braided jute from some packaging and attached it with Tim's Fastener brads on each side.  I layered a piece of vintage holey paper and a boy's clothing label from the Field Notes Ephemera.

I finished the back of the journal with more sheets from the Backdrops and I love the contrast!  I hope you've enjoyed this project and are inspired to put a quote you love onto paper for this week's challenge

One lucky winner will receive a $25 voucher to Simon Says Stamp, so come play along!  Have a great week, Autumn


14 comments:

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous journal Autumn! the whole design of this is stunning!! I have spent ages admiring this,,, just fan-bloomin-tastic! 💙

Thanks so much for joining us these past few weeks!! It has been so very lovely to have you along with us and I am sure we will get to do this again soon :-)

hope you have a great week!
luv
Lols x x x

Anna-Karin said...

This an amazing project!! I love all the details and the feel of the project. And the theme too! Even a fish hook! I too wish there were 12x12 papers. Thank you so much for joining us as our guest designer this month! / Anna-Karin

Paula Cheney said...

Autumn this is spectacular! I love Backdrop papers too and how they can all work together in one project! I have been watching the Hemingway documentary on PBS so this quote was so fun to see on your piece. Again, another wonderful design.

Maura said...

Fishing! What a great altered book, Autumn! I love the boys fishing and your perfect quote. It's been awesome having you with us this month! hugs, Maura

KristyLee said...

Your comp book cover is great! I love those hooks, and fish and that you stamped out your quote!! You did a terrific job on this project. I love it.
Peace,
KristyLee

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE! Such a fabulous idea too. Every detail is wonderful!

coldwaters2 said...

WOW, wow, wow Autumn this is outstanding work the detail is awesome you have done an amazing job with this
hugs
lorraine x

kiwimeskreations said...

Absolutely amazing and inspiring work Autumn - love it! now I have to go and read the story - thanks for the link.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Theresa said...

This is beautiful. I just discovered your blog and will now be a follower!!! Thank you for sharing.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

Ellie Knol said...

Hi Autumn, I was looking for you 8th of May blogpost re PA FinfYourVibe. Not, nothing :) I actually wanted to tell you I left a comment for you there. Can you believe it.. there was no comment at all?! I think Instagram and FB is taking over blogging, and I do not like that at all. I did like your booklet, and need those beautiful stamps...

Sylwia-eR said...

Fantastic!

Karen said...

Love this Autumn!! So vintagey nummy.

sarascloset said...

Oh, there's my boys! They look fabulous on your journal with all those other wonderful details. That hook is too cool, and I even like the fish! Ha!Ha! Miss you, girl!

Popular Posts