Jul 15, 2016

Where Bloggers Create Studio Tour 2016

pic 1


My heart is overflowing with gratitude and excitement today, as I share with you my humble craft space.  As many of you know, I recently merged all of my mother's craft supplies with my own into this tiny 8x9' space.  I worked for countless hours getting things organized.  I thought I was finished until I saw the release date for the 2016 Where Bloggers Create party and looked around and thought of photographing it...  I truly did not think I could finish the process.  But just like hosting a party at your home gets you motivated to clean up, this online party has motivated me to tidy every loose end in my very favorite place on earth, my studio!

pic 1

Every single detail in this room is a budget buy!  My solid hardwood table was a resale purchase for $50, an upgrade from a folding table several years ago.  The jars are all recycled and the lamp is a vintage thrifty score, with a new shade.

pic 3

I was so lucky to find this bin at Sam's Club for $20.  It stores my Color Bloom sprays by Prima and other small art jars.

pic 4

I picked up these shelves on clearance to display my stamps seasonally.  I change them out, depending on my mood.  The wire man was a gift, made by my eldest daughter.  He is now my muse!  Thank you Ainsley!!!  <3  My mom gave me the utensil holder for my birthday.  :)

pic 5

One more shot because this is truly one of my favorite details...

pic 6

I was able to squeeze in two stamp towers behind the door as you come in.  This wasn't my original design, but was the only way I could fit all of my mom's stamps in my small space.  I don't think it looks so bad at all.

pic 7

Of course, I had to have one of these rolling carts.  I keep my must have supplies in the bag on top, then when I go to an art day with friends I don't have to pack/unpack.  I have clear containers of inks, embossing powders, art mediums, baby wipes, a glue gun, stacks of books for text pages, plastic lids to use as disposable palettes, and more paints!  This booger weighs a ton, but thankfully is on wheels!  I keep my pads of watercolor paper, all of my stencils, and a folder of collage images tucked between the trash can.  What I love about having a small space is having everything within reach.

pic 8

I had a couple of inches left on top of this cabinet and used it to store my nail polish.  My table is the perfect place to do my nails!  LOL!

pic 9

Making my way across the room, I have a small folding table beside where I sit that I use as a die cutting station.  If I have a guest, I can move the machine and basket so they can have more table space, or I can put it out of the room all together.

pic 10

My flower and Christmas dies are on the left and everyday dies in the basket.  I tuck the plates between the machine.  It all works very well for me.

pic 11

I know everyone has their own system, but my organizational method is to house similar items together in one container.  All embellishments are in the plastic sorting trays in the middle.  Each tin has the same kind of paints.  Two of the bins hold all of my unmounted stamps.  One holds alterable items, or substrates.  The little clear containers hold glitter/microbeads, vintage lace trim, vintage seam binding, and Glimmer Mists.  The bright blue container in the middle is a repurposed Swiffer mop container that just happened to fit perfectly in the gap.  It holds all of my chipboard die cuts.

pic 12

The striped accent wall is the main source of color.  I really love having an all white space.  In a tiny room, it helps keep it bright and airy.  I purposely didn't put tall shelves on the left when you walk in the door because I wanted to walk in and the space "feel" open, even if it is not.

pic 13

I was able to tuck these three stamp storage units under the table.  I will roll them out of the way when I have a guest.

pic 14

I picked up this tall bookcase at Walmart for $30.  I have tons stored in it, handmade cards, magazines, journals, and more.

pic 15

On top of the bookcase is a basket filled with art from friends.

pic 16

Beside that is our computer, where the blogging happens!  The desk was about $20 at a resale shop.  It had one broken drawer, so I made a fabric covered box to fill that space.  It is filled with vintage lace.  The shelf gives me a display space that I can change any time I want.

pic 17

I don't really mind the bottom drawer missing, the fabric is pretty to look at.

pic 18

I have finally maximized almost every inch of space in the closet.  I have two stamp drawer units, and one filing cabinet for 8 1/2 x 11" paper, topped with a 12x12" tower.  The two wooden towers hold bins of supplies.  I created the labels with a Sizzix die using chalkboard vinyl.  In the floor you see a few SU! sets that I just haven't found a place for yet.  I usually break down my sets and store them in themed drawers.

pic 19

pic 20

I had a wee gap between the wall and hung a shoe rack for even more storage.

pic 21

The top of the closet holds bins of supplies that I don't use quite as regularly.  Many of these are duplicates that both my mom and I had.

pic 22

The right side has a bin of canvas art, tons of manila X-ray folders a friend gave me and I use regularly, and then my two older sewing machines (which you can't see for the small things in front.)

pic 23

My favorite detail of my room would be the chair my grandfather made for my dad to get around the house when he could not walk.  My dad had hemophilia and died at a very young age, so having this chair is very special to me.  It reminds me to take life's lemons and make lemonade.

poster

Today, be thankful for all that you have and how far you've come.  Determine yourself to work with what you have and make it into what you love.  Most of all, don't spend all of your time working on your space.  Spend it living in and enjoying your space.  Now, go on!  Make something! 

A very special shoutout to my mom for contributing to our joint success in creativity, to my BFF Trish for helping me with the grunt work (including painting those pretty white walls) and listening to me work out my ideas until it was annoying even to me, and to my daughters Ainsley and Sydney for helping me organize and carry supplies up and down the stairs in this process.  And last, but not least, to my friend Barbara who shared with me when I had so little and encouraged me every step of the way.  I love you girls!

Yours truly,
Autumn <3

WBC2016
I'm sharing with:
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

64 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

What an amazing space Autumn - love it, and how well organised you are in it. I could learn a lot!!
Blessings
Maxine

Maria Lillepruun said...

Such a nice and cozy place to create!!! Simply wonderful!

Paper Profusion said...

I sooo enjoyed seeing your favourite place Autumn! I am relieved that you have more stuff than me!! You certainly look very well organised - I need to copy, urgently!! Thank-you for sharing your beautiful room. Happy Weekend. Nicola x

Marjan said...

I can understand the hours of work when organzing, but you can be very proud of your workroom!!

Mac Mable said...

Did so enjoy reading your post. Fabulous how you've got so much creative products and organised them into your space. Had a little chuckle that you spotted a small space and filled it with the hanging shoe rack...very creative! Thank you for your thoughtful message at the end of the post and with that in mind I am off to ccraft and get inky! Thank you for sharing your glorious space x

Lisa said...

Wow, what an amazing space you have, Autumn!! Everything looks so organized and beautiful!! I love your striped walls and storage options!! It's so gorgeous!! I'd love to come craft with you in your gorgeous room!! I wish my room was as organized and efficient as yours!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Stephanie said...

Good morning, dear Autumn. My, what a beautiful and very well organized craft room! I simply love it :) It was truly a delight to see your space where creativity and beauty happens.

Have a lovely weekend! Hugs!

Laura said...

It's simply beautiful (and super organized!). Thank you for sharing.

Rainey's Craft Room said...

It looks an amazing and peaceful room to create in Autumn. Organising all our supplies is a real big headache but you have everything to hand here. Happy creating!
Lorraine

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Your craft space is so nice and organized. Love how you have your stamps displayed, ready to grab at a moments notice.

Thanks for sharing ~ FlowerLady

Graciellie Design said...

Love this! I also have a large desk which actually feels small! LOL But I do see you're a bit of a hoarder too! LOL Especial paper, I see a lot of it! Congratulations of your creative space, I really like how you've organize it. The cabinet hiding the drawers gave me an idea!!! Hugs.

Redanne said...

What a fabulous tour of your room Autumn, you are SO organised! I know from having a smallish craft room myself that it is important to have a plan though! I thought I had a lot of stamps! Your room looks bright and airy and I totally agree, it is great having everything to hand without moving too far! Hugs, Anne xx

Becca Cruger said...

Awww - it was so fun to see your crafty space and WOW are you organized, girl! So much jam-packed fun in that little room. Loved seeing all your bargain buys and the special pieces that give you inspiration.

Juliz Design Post said...

Awe Thankyou Autumn for sharing your beautiful creative space with us all. I love getting bargains too which I can put to great use.
Have a lovely weekend, Julie x

Terry said...

Hi Autumn,

Thank you for stopping by and spending some time visiting my blog. Your space is fantastic! My daughter has a scrapbooking studio in our basement. Your organization reminded me of how she has her things organized. Maybe next year I will ask her if I can take a few pictures of her space. I love you computer desk!

With gratitude,
Terry

Something Special said...

Oh I also sew paper craft and Paint. he he. I love love your space. It is so condusive and organized for creating beautiful things.

CherylQuilts said...

Autumn, what a joy to see where you create and spend time making beautiful artwork! How exciting to know that you've purchased so many of these items as bargains and put it all together so beautifully in this small space. I love it and love seeing it! Thanks for sharing this wonderful tour with us! Big hugs, sweet friend!

Cindy said...

A very nice crafting space!!! Nice and bright like you say. Amazing how you fit so much and yet have room to stretch! Hugs!

rachel said...

what an amazing space Autumn - oh my - I couldn't show anybody my space -its a big cluttered mess but this is just beautiful - love it xx

Mrs.B said...

You look so organised and it's a lovely bright aiory room.
Avril x

suziqu's thread works said...

Oh I love how everything is so organized in your creative studio and those shelves displaying your gorgeous stamps - Love that idea!
You certainly have an amazing amount of stock with which to create your beauty!
Thanks for sharing it all with us!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

You have done an amazing job of organizing all of it! I know what a job it is. Love how you have your stamps out on display. I have that same tiered container from Sams and love it too. Your space is both warm and inviting. Love the striped wall!
hugs,
Jann

Bohemian said...

Your Organization is so Impressive I was taking Notes! *smiles* I particularly liked your Idea of rotating some of your favorite Stamps and keeping some visual. Mine are stashed away and then I forget what I have since I haven't really yet sorted them into Themes. Thank You for inviting us to Tour your Creative Sanctuary... Blessings from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian

Doni said...

I am amazed at the amount of items you have managed to store so beautifully in your room! Awesome job! It looks open just like you said! Great ideas on your carts too. I have so many that need to be cleared out and reorganized! Thank you so much for joining the party and sharing your space with us! Hugs! Doni

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Oh my goodness, this like my idea of heaven! How wonderful just looking at it! Your creative space is so well organized and I'm more than a little jelly! That looks like one of those Ikea trolleys!

Pamellia said...

Totally loved taking the tour of your craft room Autumn!! I'm so jealous of how light and spacious it feels! I have cherrywood furniture and it always feels dark, no matter how many lights I add! happy weekend to you :)

Petra Swart said...

Oh, my what would I give to have such a wonderfully organized craft area, Autumn ...and to have all of the stuff you have!!! You would laugh if you had to see the limited stuff I have to make cards with!!!! I really enjoyed seeing where you create your masterpieces!!! ...and I looooove that wire man ...and you've got your nail polish on hand!!!! Thanks for having me visit your craft area!!!!
Have a great day!!!
Hugz

Karen Valentine said...

Autumn your room is fabulous!! I pretty much only buy second hand and you create beautiful spaces that way! Your room is no exception! I do love the 3 tiered metal tray you got at Sam's club. That was a great buy!!! Thank you so much for joining the party. I am sure you have inspired many of us!!

Carol said...

What a lovely craft space Autumn, great storage and organisation....love your stripey wall too. Carol x

Marlynne said...

My you do have a lot of supplies! But, your room does not look crowded! Good for you! Attractive!

Donna Ellis said...

How tidy and organized your fun studio is! I can feel the love, Autumn, in every nook and cranny, especially because you have accommodated a place for your guests. Thanks for sharing your crafty place! Hugs, de

experiments in paper said...

Fabulous post, Autumn - and equally fantastic organization in your space!!! I loved seeing where you create your incredible projects. I am woefully behind in catching up with everyone, but could not resist popping in here to say how incredible your space is!! You rock here and in your makes!! xxx Lynn

Judys Lace Creations said...

This is a lovely, well designed and calm space Autumn. Would love some of your stamps!!Displaying them is a good idea.Most times they get put into boxes, and their great designs and patterns are not see which is a pity. It must have been hard to find a home for all your mother's supplies too.

Diana Seal said...

What an adorable space, Autumn!
Love how everything is organized and in hands reach.
You sure made good use of every corner of the room.
Thanks for sharing!
Have a great weekend!
Diana

crafty-stamper said...

WOW what an amazing craft studio-so organised and everything to hand
Carol x

Lisa said...

I love your creative use of space. I'm still working on mine but I love the way you utilized great finds! TFS

Joy Junktion said...

Very organized space with so much to choose from. Now that you are finished putting it all together, I bet you are ready to start creating! Happy Day, Cindy

Maureen H. said...

Wow you really have some great buys in this room. I adore that metal tired tray from SAMs and wish I could find one. The whole room is very well organized and made me want o pop in and play with you. Thanks for sharing your space.

An Oasis in the Desert said...

I think your creative space is perfect, Autumn! I think having smallish spaces (mine is only a tad bigger) really gets our creative juices flowing to organize and sort and make it all work for us. Your room is really cute and looks like a fun place to have some creative fun!
Carol

Asmah Zainal Abidin said...

I adore your best buys of the secondhand goodies at lower price; the white table with one missing drawer looks fabulous. I'm in love with your organization and that hidden crafty items behind the closet door is a wow factor. I think by now I get better understanding why all your creations are so amazing because they are created in a very loving happy and tidy room :) Thanks for sharing your craft room Autumn. Happy creating! Hugs xx

Jinny Newlin said...

Eeek! Thanks for sharing, Autumn! What a beautiful place to create! I can't believe you got all those goodies in there!

Art By Wanda said...

Autumn, I just loved seeing your space and hearing the joy as you talked about it!!!

Connie Mercer said...

Thanks for sharing this! Your space is adorable!!! I linked up and gave you a shout out :)

Words and Pictures said...

What an incredibly well-organised space, Autumn. I'm so impressed you managed to find a way to incorporate your mother's craft supplies too! Beautifully clean and tidy at the moment too... is it always that way, I wonder, mid-creation?! Thanks so much for sharing all these photos of your creative space - it's lovely to get a peek "backstage"!
Alison x

MaryH said...

It's a beautiful post, Autumn, and I enjoyed the tour very much. You've done a super job, organizing in your designated space. Was pleased to see we have some of the same storage in the tiered plastic bins. Love that nifty Sam's metal container (how did I miss that!?) I also love how tidy it all looks, and the dresser with the missing drawer - looks wonderful with the fabric basket. The striping on the walls is a very serene look with the other white walls, and must be very pleasant to work creatively in this room! Now, would you come help me with mine?!!! TFS & Hugs

Unknown said...

Wonderful Wonderful Wonderful Autumn. You should be so proud. Wow. This was such a treat to see. Thanks bunches for a peek into you creative world. Xj.

Ellie Knol said...

LOVE your craft space - I think your biggest problem is - you have waaaaay too much supplies :)

Gretchen said...

You definitely have a very organized studio. And I like that you save money on equipment like tables and desks. (More money for supplies.) I do love the bins from Sam's Club. Very unique. I've never thought about displaying the stamps on shelves. Changing them seasonal seems like a neat idea. I am going to have to think about that in my place. Thanks for sharing your studio. I will be visiting often.

Louise@ElsieMayandBertha said...

You have a beautiful and organised room. The striped wall adds a great contrast to the other white walls. Judging by how many pieces of stamp storage, you must have hundreds of them! Thank you for the look around 💜

Nancy Briges said...

I love your pretty space!

Cathy said...

Beautiful, inviting space and so well organized! I especially love all of your thrifty finds! My own craft room is full of them.
Cathy

donna joy said...

I could take a lesson in organizing from your room! i love thrifty finds too-they are better than "real" shopping. I was given a chest of drawers my mom has had forever-had to repair part of it and the man at the wood store said it "pre-dated wooden joiner biscuits" i thought he said 1936 but i wiki'ed it and it was 1956. anyway, it's one of my storage pieces in my room. Thanks for sharing!

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

WOW!! You are so very organized!! Love it!! What I really like and it seems that I have seen several others who, like you, have taken the closet and turned it into a great storage unit in itslef. My Hubby will be retitring soon as a letter carrier and once he gets rid of all his postal clothing, I just may be able to do this with the closet in my craft room! Thanks so much for sharing!!
Hugs,
Deb

Beulah Bee said...

Took a peak at your Tim tag for this month (which is fab) then found my way to this post. I craft in a room about the same size as yours so I can relate to the need for maximizing space and functionality. It's really daunting to take on a task like this (halfway through my re-org--I wanted to quit) but the end result is so worth it. You must be very proud!

Vicki Boster said...

Autumn-- this is perfect!! I'm blown away by how you have all your paints and craft supplies so organized. Mixed media artists are SO talented. I'm in awe of all that you folks do. I think you have the most perfect space- thanks for all these lovely photos..
Xoxo
Vicki

Tonya said...

Your studio is so gorgeous and I love all your storage ideas too! I have repurposed a few pieces that would have gone to dump or Goodwill into useful storage options for my craft room. Thanks you for the inspiration!

Marty F said...

I have been meaning for almost a month now to comment on your craft room. I love what you've done with your space. The way you've organized it seems to make it easier to get your crafting done (could you please come over and organize mine???)and decorated it make it a very pleasant room to be in. Great job, Autumn!! :-)

An Oasis in the Desert said...

I think your room is terrific, Autumn! I keep going back to this gathering of creative women to pick up tours I may have missed. I am so glad you left a message for me. I love that you have utilized every possible inch of space, as did I. Those of us who have our own dedicated spaces are so blessed, no matter what size. Creative people can make anything work, right?

Happy Weekend!
Carol

sarascloset said...

Autumn, I'm not really sure how I ended up here at this post, but I have to tell you how it warms my heart. I've been having a rather anti-blogging spell lately, and I'm not sure it won't persist. But reading your post makes me feel somewhat better about this whole blogging thing. My favorite part about your studio, aside from the fact that it looks so light and airy (I have no window in my Closet), is the fact you have taken into consideration accommodating a friend. That is so you! what a joyful room and a joyful post, my friend! Big hugs and congratulations on such a wonderful, organized space. PS-where are all the things you create???

Mimi said...

HIIIII!!! I am sorry I haven't seen this! What a great post about your space! You did an excellent job keeping an "open" space with lots of supplies, and simultaneously maximized all other space! (nail polish! hehehehe)

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Came by way of Crafty Cardmakers, so love to see others desks and creative spaces. Thanks for sharing. Lovely colors and your personal touches make it homey and comfortable. Isn't it amazing what we accumulate ? I started my blog and creating with such simple things, then went to mixed media and now I am overwhelmed ! Have a fun extended weekend. Hoping for Sunshine in Iowa.

Turtle In The Sand said...

Great work space. Well designed, organized and just the right amount of decorations to make it feel homey.

scrappallino said...

How is it possible that I only notice this tour today?
How many more things will I have to find out?
It's beautiful to enter your room, I seem to see you sitting there at your table while you create masterpieces, it's really a cozy craf room, from this space only wonderful ideas can be born. Thanks for sharing this!
Hugs,
Stefi

Cyndi Landrigan said...

I was exploring your site today and just saw this! You have made a very warm and inviting space to create! I love everything about it!

Popular Posts