Welcome to my week 2 post for my guest stint at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. This week's challenge theme is Be Square. I chose my favorite square substrate from my tutorial HERE on making a handmade book from an old Scrabble board game.
I am enjoying working alongside of the talented team at the Monday Challenge so much! Thanks again for the offer. Please check out the other designers blogs for more inspiration.
First I gessoed the printed tile side of my Scrabble board section. Next, I used Distress Inks and Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays to add some color. I stamped Tim's hexagon stamps randomly with various Archival inks. I lightly coated a smaller square of corrugated board with gesso, then colored it with sprays and my blue Distress Crayon. I laid it onto the other board and used my black Distress Crayon to give it an outline or shadow.
I layered a found relative with some basket filler over the cardboard, tucking in some bundled string, linen ribbon, and die cut doilies. I use Beacon 3-in-1 adhesive for these types of projects. Here you see a small section of tissue tape added over the background.
I tucked a snipet of an old library card from my friend Mimi in there for fun, thanks Mimi! The book title was The Snow Princess. The silver medallion is by Finnabair for Prima. The gold snowflake is part of a costume jewelry necklace that broke off. I found it later on my art room floor (shocker!) and thought it would now become a neat piece of ephemera.
I based my collage around this verse, which I cling to, "And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us." Romans 5:5 (NIV) My "hope" plaque is a variation on Brenda's awesome antique enameled number plates found HERE. I used Tim's Celebration die set. Next time I would cut out the word before embossing, because some of the EP flaked off - but let's just say that adds to the vintage look. ;0
I decided to add some sparkle for contrast to tie in with the charm. I added a couple of brass star brads and flecks of gold Color Bloom spray. I mixed glitter with Mod Podge and brushed it randomly around the panel. A final addition of the stamped stitching from the patchwork stamp set and some white gesso splatters completed the project. I hope it is an inspiration to you!
Join in this week's challenge for a chance to win a $50 Simon Says Stamp gift voucher!