Apr 19, 2017

Mixed Media Mini Album Binding Tutorial


It's inspiration time at the IndigoBlu blog.  My teamies are sharing a lovely inspirational post, so do hop on over and see what everyone has created.  I created a tiny journal using packaging.


I scored this great mat board packaging from a package of Pokemon cards.  LOL!  There were two pieces just like the above, and had great score marks.  I cut off the sides to make and some of the length to make tiny book covers measuring 3x4".


The two scored sides will be nestled together to form the spine of the book, which will be half an inch thick.


I adhered crumpled tissue paper to the covers and cut down, then used black GeeSso Good gesso to paint over the tissue.


I used a dry brush technique to lightly paint Metallic Goldfinger and Miss Moneypenny Metallic Copper paints over the raised areas of the crinkled tissue.


On the inside of my covers I applied Goldfinger paint to Phat Foam and bounced over my Vintage Flourish stamp and stamped each panel.  Using this foam with paint onto stamps creates such a beautiful impression!  I quickly wiped my stamp with a baby wipe and spritzed with water to help clean any paint from my stamp.  The foam shouldn't be pressed too hard into the stamp, just pounced upon the raised portions.


For my page I applied Vintage Photo Distress Ink and Walnut Stain Distress Oxide to my kraft mat liberally, then spritzed with loads of water to completely saturate each panel.  I lined up my two cover spines and punched holes with my Cropadile then lined up the same marks on my pages and pierced with an awl.  I used decorative rusty colored ribbon to tie the pages in place, then tied on a loopy bow.


Some details of the dry brushed tissue.


I adhered a sentiment sticker to some inky paper then lightly dusted with more Miss Copperpenny paint.  The metallic charm blended perfectly with the painted covers.


The inside of my tiny book.  You can see the overlap of the spines.


And the ribbon that ties things in place, not too bulky.


The spine with the loopy bow tied on.


And a side view of the pages.  I do hope you enjoyed this post and will be inspired to use your IndigoBlu metallic paints in a new way today.  If you have any questions, please do leave them in the comments section.  Thank you for your visit!


I'm also sharing with:
You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

30 comments:

Maria Lillepruun said...

Gorgeous boom Autumn! Love your texture!

Donna Ellis said...

How lovely your booklet/journal is, Autumn! Thank you ALWAYS for the photographed tutorials you make. It's a lot of work, I know, and your photographs are so explicit. I actually think I could make something following your directions today, and hope to do so soon. Thank you!

The colors, highlights, ribbon, and prettily distress papers are all marvelous! Beautifully done with the textures of the crumpled tissue paper (how brilliant is that!). At first I thought it was mulberry paper. Fantastic!

hugs, de

sarascloset said...

Autumn, this is a fantastic album! Love the stamping on the interior covers and your rusty ribbon. A perfect place to jot down all of your dreams! Sending hugs to you!

Jackie PN said...

Autumn! how ever did i miss this post??
What a gorgeous journal! I just love that Flourish stamp and those paints look sooooo creamy and beautiful! How long did this project take you? The palette flows from cover to cover brilliantly!
And the textures? YUMMM! i am a texture girl doncha know!
Thanks for sharing this and for the inspiration!
hugs,Jackie xx

Lula said...

This is a gorgeous project Autumn! The textured background is beautiful, great use of metal elements! As always breathtaking my friend!
Lula oxo

Danoesja said...

Wow, i love it, this is so gorgeous and thanks for sharing how you did this.
Greetings, Danoesja

Lisa said...

Absolutely amazing!! The crumpled tissue paper adds such fabulous texture!! The stamping and ribbon are just spectacular!! Love this, my friend!! Awesome tutorial, too!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Redanne said...

A stunning journal, the cover is beautiful, I love the beautiful flourishes on the inside and the papers for inside are wonderfully aged! Hugs xx

Helen Gullett said...

WOW.. this is stunning album, Autumn. Thanks for the tutorial. I have to save this tutorial :) And also thanks a lot for visiting my blog early today!

Greta said...

Oh what a gorgeous project, Autumn! So elegant--love this!

Loose Stitches said...

Such a gorgeous project Autumn! Thank you for joining us at our 'Just For Fun Challenge' at Mix It Up Challenge Blog. We hope to see you again.
~DT Sherry x

Claudia N. said...

This is so beautiful, Autumn. Don't know which sides I love more - the in- or the outsideds of the covers. ;)
Hugs,
Claudia xxx

Petra Swart said...

Love your beautiful little mini, Autumn!!! All the texture and the gold are simply great!!!!!
Hugz

Rupa Swaminathan said...

I love your little mini here and the metallic touches to it.Thanks for sharing this with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month, Good Luck. Rupa.

Brenda Brown said...

Oh my this is the most perfect vintage looking little album Autumn, I adore it xxx

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

First I thought I've seen this before, but it's a new one! You must be the most prolific (and talented!!!) crafter out there, Autumn! This is so beautiful!

Helen Wallace said...

Another stunning project from Chez Autumn. Every detail is perfect; the texture is divine and I'm going to have a play with something like this over the weekend. Thanks for the inspiration :D

Words and Pictures said...

Scrumptious cover textures, and those aged papers inside are magical. Great step by step to take us through it too, thank you for that.
Alison x

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

I love this and you have inspitred me to try using your method - Thank you for sharing with us over at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month and hope to see you again in future challenges.

Handcrafted by Ellapu
Mother Hen for Altered Eclectics
Mother Hen for Eclectic Ellapu
DT Rhedd's Creative Spirit

Barbara said...

Wow Wow Wow!!!! Love this book! Love the technique and love much the result! It's fantastic! I'm a super fan of Harry Potter and your book makes me think to this movie! Thanks for joining us this week on Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! barbara

Sammy said...

Oh wow, what a beauty! Love the colour and texture, and was surprised at the end to see how small it was! I really want to have a go at this... Good excuse to finally get me those distress oxide pads!
Thank you for entering your project at Rhedd’s Creative Spirit. Sammy-x

Marty F said...

What a sweet, beautiful little album, Autumn! Great use of the Pokémon (LOL!) packaging and the texture is amazing. Love the gold accents and stamping inside - wow! Of course, the inside pages are perfect for this album as well. You always amaze me, Autumn! Hugs :-)

http://blog.timetocreate.com.au/ said...

Sometimes it's the simplest products that make such an impact.
Love the tissue base and your layering.Thank you for joining in with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit Challenge this month.

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

OMG, I love your book ! Thank you so much for sharing with us at The Artistic Stamper
WIshing you good luck to win beautiful stamps !

Judy McKay said...

Stunning book cover. very pretty design. Love your style. Thank you for joining us at Creative Artist this month. Hope to see you back here again soon. Judy DT

Leslie said...

What a wonderful project! Love all the detail! Thanks so much for sharing with us in the Mix It Up Challenge Blog's "Just For Fun" challenge! Will be looking forward to seeing you again when our regular challenge line-up begins on May 1st!
Hugs,
Leslie, MIUCB DT
Love To Scrap 2

Irena Stefanova said...

Wow! I love the texture on your project, Autumn!
hugs
Irena from MIUCB DT

sarascloset said...

Well, look at you! I'm so happy to see you win the 1st MIUC with this amazing album! You are rockin'! Hugs!

sarascloset said...

And congratulations AGAIN on your Top Pick at Creative Artist! Those folks know a great thing when they see it! Have a wonderful weekend! Hugs!

Uroo Creations said...

Your tutorials are so impressive.... i love the way you instruct, i always do work with papers (mini albums, cards, explosion boxes).
But your tutorial is so easy to grasp, i wish i could make something inspired by you...love to learn more from you dear...

Hugs
UrooCreations

Popular Posts