Jul 21, 2017

Prima St. Tropez Mini Album Tutorial and Video


I'm ever so excited to be sharing the Friday Focus post on the Frilly and Funkie blog today.  For the next two weeks the Prima Marketing St. Tropez collection will be an extra 15% off the already discounted prices.  I have used one A4 pad, one pack of flowers, one pack of gemstones and one pack of charms with a few elements from my stash to complete a mixed media mini album/scrapbook.  Actually, this album is not so mini, but measures in at a whopping 6 x 9 1/2 inches!


No matter what size of mini album you wish to create, the principles I shared in THIS post on nestled binding will work for you.  The variation comes in the thickness between your pages.  On the above mentioned album I used a bigger gap between pages to accommodate thicker mixed media pages.  For this album I planned to keep my pages flatter and spine thinner so I changed my recipe up a little.

Three Signatures for 6 Flaps (12 Pages Front and Back) with Gap Between Pages of 1/4"
Signature 1. Height of Pages (9 1/4) x 1 1/4
Signature 2. Height of Pages (9 1/4") x 1 3/4
Signature 3. Height of Pages (9 1/4") x 2 1/4
Score each Signature ½” from each end.
Spine Width: Height of Covers (9 1/4) x 1 3/4



For this album I covered the the front and back covers with the floral paper in the collection.  I gave it a gesso wash to help tone it down to blend with my cover collage.  I did a spine wrap to connect the covers with the map print.  I use redline tape to adhere the papers to the chipboard.  I covered the wrap on the inside with more map paper and covered the inside spine with the wood grain pattern.  

Front and Back Cover Wraps: 10 1/2 x 7 (for a half inch overlap on all sides)
Spine Wrap: 10 1/2 x 4 3/4
Spine Lining: 9 1/4 x 4 3/4 (adhered before front and back inner lining)
Front and Back Cover Inner Lining: 9 1/4 x 5 3/4

To create my base pages I cut kraft stock for the pages.
Pages: 9 1/4 x 5 3/4
Patterned Paper Overlay: 8 3/4 x 5 1/2

I adhered them to the spine flaps with redline tape.  I then stitched the designer paper over the kraft.  I left the centers of each spread unstitched so that I could tuck elements inside, like this flap.  When my pages were added, I then adhered my flaps one on top of the other to my spine.


I made the closure by gluing wrapped jute cord to an XL button.  I strung the button through the covers to the reverse side and concealed with my layers.  Wrapping the back string keeps the album nice and secure and just looks cool.


I hope you will hop on over to the Frilly and Funkie blog to see the many photos of the inside pages of my album.


This is my favorite spread!  I'm sharing this video of the entire album because it's truly hard to absorb all of the details in still shots, particularly the few interactive elements.  This video shows the finished album with my family photos included and last minute touches.


3 Minute Flip-Through Video



Thanks again for your visit!  Now take whirl through the virtual shopping isles of the Prima Marketing St. Tropez collection at the Funkie Junkie Boutique and see the other amazing products in this collection.  Here are a few that I used for my project:




I'm also sharing with:

45 comments:

aussie aNNie said...

Wowzer, this is gorgeous, will be watching the video after I do my commenting.xx [aNNie]

kiwimeskreations said...

What an amazing album Autumn - you really are an inspiring and awesome artist!
Blessings
Maxine

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Gorgeous album and fantastic tutorial! Thank you :) I bought blank albums by Heartfelt Creations, but it's good to know how to make them myself, if I ever get back to a craft room again. Take good care, Shirley xx

Linda Kunsman said...

absolutely gorgeous book and pages Autumn-the layers and details are brilliant!!

Karen Petitt said...

Autumn it's like you created something just from your heart and it's so beautifully done. You make it sound easy to create and as soon as I get a new die I will be having a go, there is one at the moment that will help me when creating mini books or albums. So many wonderful details and I love how you have 'hidden' some of the photo's making it a lovely interactive project too. Thank you for sharing this beauty with us Karen x

Sue Kosec said...

ABSOLUTELY beautiful ... every page is personalized perfectly. Love it all.

Dortesjs said...

gorgeous album so many layers and great art

Nancy said...

It's gorgeous, Autumn! I love it! :o)

Lucille K said...

Wow, your album is beautiful. Thank you for joining us at CCCB!

Lisa said...

Wow, this is amazing!! The details are so stunning!! I love the details you added!! Wow!! This is spectacular, Autumn!! Love, love it, my friend!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Mac Mable said...

Such a lot of work and so worth it. So unique, so creative and so fabulous! x Lots to look at and admire...Thank you x

Debs said...

Truly gorgeous, I love your album, I haven't made one from scratch yet and your tutorial has inspired me to have a go myself. thank you x

Redanne said...

Such a beautiful album Autumn, I loved watching your wonderful video to see the beautiful pages - it is lovely to see little 'surprises' throughout - really beautiful! Hugs, Anne xx

LilArtsyWoman said...

This is gorgeous. Your project inspired me to get the supplies to start a mini album for my trip in November (hope to have all the pages done by then). Thank you so much http://www.LilArtsyWoman.blogspot.com

Susan said...

What a beautiful album! I love the closure. And you can hardly recognize the original paper you used!

Barbara said...

I'm in love with this project! Love every single detail and I adore the sea theme! Amazing work as always! Thanks for joining us this week on Simon says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! barbara

Brenda Brown said...

Brilliant and beautiful throughout the whole album Autumn, so many fabulous details and amazing designs, pinned for future reference. Have a great weekend xxx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

So much love has gone into this album, I can see by just looking at each picture the amount of time and dedication you have given it. Your written tutorial is fabulous and i'm more than sure will inspire Crafters at all levels to have a go and making one for themselves. Love your flip through video.. Another make full of inspiration & generosity of sharing it with us all. Bug Hugs & have a happy weekend.. Tracey xx

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Wow, just watched the video! Something of this magnitude would take me months to put together (or more likely I would probably run out of steam and out of ideas midway through). Each and every page is unique and such a joy to look at! A seriously breathtaking project, Autumn!

Katarina said...

Wow! What a beautiful album!! Love it :)

Julia Aston said...

What a beautiful journal Autumn - LOVE those papers! Each page is so thoughtfully done! Julia xx

Lorraine A said...

Gorgeous album Autumn! the whole design of this is spectacular!! AWESOME!!! :-)

Thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge
Luv
Lols x x x

Words and Pictures said...

Glorious collaged layers on the cover and beautiful pages inside - this is a fabulous journal, Autumn. I'm saving up the video to watch when I've got time to give it my proper attention!
Alison x

Turtle In The Sand said...

Thanks for the video. So full of ideas I would love to try. Never thought about the gesso wash to tone down the color tones on my dp.

FiestyCrafter (Tina) said...

Gorgeous album! So many beautiful details and layers. Love this! Thanks for joining us at Let's Craft and Create
Tina dt

Sue said...

Autumn this is gorgeous! You have such good ideas and you carry them through beautifully. Have a great week. Sue xx

Astrid Maclean said...

Fabulous album, just love how you did the closure, and such clever collge work on the cover! Wonderful flip through too!

Marina said...

An amazing album with so many fabulous details. Thanks for joining in at City Crafter.

Helen Wallace said...

Small albums always seem like a wonderful gift for someone special, but sometimes I don't want to give them away. The care and attention to detail in this one is remarkable. Great use of those Prima products.

Lyndas Crafty Hall said...

This is incredible. So much detail. A real labour of love.
Thank you for playing along at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog this time.
Good luck
DT Lynda x

crafty-stamper said...

Brilliant mini albumn love all the details and embellishments
Carol x

Jonnece said...

Fabulous. What a gorgeous album. Well done. Thanks for joining us at 'Lets Craft and Create'. Jonnece DT

Irena Stefanova said...

Wow Autumn! What a lovely combination of colours, texture and embelishments....Love it! Thank you for linking to Mixed Media World Challenge #27 AMMG/Use Natural Materials.
Irena

sarascloset said...

I could have sworn I left you some love on this, but perhaps it was on Frilly and Funkie--so sorry! I love this album with all the little Autumn touches, and I can't wait to watch the video! Perhaps I will get to see this in person???? Hugs!

Andree said...

A wonderful album and a great tutorial. I love the gorgeous cover and the pretty papers. You've used a fabulous selection of techniques and elements.
Thank you for joining in with our July challenge "Anything Mixed Media Goes" at Creative Artiste Mixed Media and good luck x

Marty F said...

This is an amazing album, Autumn! So glad you made a video to share all of the wonderful pages. All of your details are fabulous and it was fun seeing your family photos! Hugs :-)

Lys said...

Fabulous and so rich inside! Thanks for playing along with us at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge!

Unknown said...

Impressive project! Your design and details make for a beautiful piece! Thank you for sharing it with us at Mixed Media World!

Pami said...

Great job! I love this mini! So many details, so rich inside! Amazing!

Ammaris Art said...

Beautiful creation Autumn! I love it! Thank you for joining us at Let's Craft and Create!
Catherine DT

talkis23 said...

Wow wow wow I'm in love. A big thank you for always participating in the challenge of Mixed Media Place.

olushka-design.blogspot.com said...

Amazing album! Thank you for joining us at Mixed Media Place challenge!

Juliya Tirskaya said...

Beautiful album!
Thank you for playing with us at Mixed Media Place!

nadya-drozdova.blogpost.com said...

Very beautiful creation! Thank you for joining us at MMP challenge!

Unknown said...

This is stunning, thank you for joining us at MMP x

Popular Posts