Jul 17, 2018

Two-Tone Distress Oxide Stenciling Tutorial


Today I'm sharing a little experiment I concocted with my Distress Oxide ink pads.  I was really pleased with the result and turned it into this simple masculine card using the Tim Holtz Theories stamp set.


First, I sponged a watercolor panel with Faded Jeans Distress Oxide, then layered the Plus Layering Stencil over the panel.


I lifted the ink with water in two ways to see which I liked best.  On the left I spritzed heavily with water then wiped with a baby wipe.  You can see how the color lifted more, but also bleed out more.  On the right I simply blotted with a very wet baby wipe.


I decided that it would be good to have two completely different patterns on the card, so I blotted away some more of the ink on the right side.  On the left, over the dried spritzed pattern, I realigned my stencil and sponged with Peeled Paint Distress Oxide.  I gave it a slight mist of water to help with the oxidization.  I'm just thrilled over this two-toned effect, which to me resembles patterned paper.  Of course, you could take it a step further and outline the stenciled design with a fine pen, but I didn't want that bold of a design.


I used my Stitched Square die to cut out a section of the panel, then raised it up with black card and Metallic Kraft Core.  The cutout is then hidden below.  This is a great way to build dimension and not cover up the background you've worked so hard on.  :)  I cut "happy" from the Celebrations set and layered with an On The Edge die.  The sentiment was cut from one of the stamps in the Theories set.  I used Tim's Fluted Fasteners in the corners of my card and the Ledger Script stamp to add text in the alternate corners.  I love coming up with new ways to use my oxides.  In case you've missed them, I've added the links to a few of my older tutorials below.  Have an awesome day and get inky!  





15 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Love your use of the inks on this stunning background Autumn, and also the die cut that echoes it too. A stunning creation!
Blessings
Maxine

Redanne said...

A fun experiment that worked beautifully Autumn! I love how you went back and added the green, it looks amazing. Your finished card is wonderful! Hugs, Anne xx

Lisa said...

This is so stunning, Autumn!! The background looks amazing!! I really like how you used the two tones!! The stamping is fabulous!! Love this!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Susan said...

Great technique! Love the card you made with it too.

crafty-stamper said...

Great experiment and fabulous background love the silhouette images
Carol x

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

Very pretty! Love the look of the gold tone over the stenciled crosses.... you make me want to play with water and inks! I don't usually do that but I might have to try it! Marilyn

Helen Wallace said...

Another great way to use one of my all time favourite products; the Tim Holtz Oxides. Love the background and the black stamping with the raised centre panel. I must source some of those fluted fasteners - they are the Bomb!

Freddie Bubblescrap Sleijpen said...

This is genius! Thabks for sharing :-)

Mac Mable said...

Wow ...love reading how you did the different techniques and effects. I am always up for learning new things and thank you so much for the wonderful inspiration. Great project, wonderful colours and layout. Thank you for the additional links x

Ellibelle said...

An absolutely amazing creation, Autumn! Love all the textures and gorgeous colors!

Marty F said...

That is a very cool technique, Autumn, and I love your results! At first I liked the right side, but after you used a different color on the left and blended out the right, I loved that look as well. Honestly, I like all of it! Very cool die to go with that stencil as well. Hugs!!

Kate Yetter said...

A beautiful background. I love the effect you got from those inks! Thanks for sharing how you made this.
Kate

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

I do love stenciling with DOs and this is a great new option. Thanks for sharing the tutorial and the wonderful projects!

Donna Ellis said...

Fabulous project, Autumn, and the words are so endearing (and true). How can you possibly put those happiest and most cherished of moments into words? There is no way. I am in love with the multi-color, multi-hued background. That stencil in your hands created pure magic! Your details in every nook and cranny are lovely - I just cannot see it all without my eyes constantly roving to see what else there is to view. Gorgeous, Autumn! xx

Jackie PN said...

Wow! That first one is so neat! So time worn and faded looking Autumn- so vintage!
Hope your summer is going well my friend and you have found some time to yourself!
Jackie xo

Popular Posts