Oct 25, 2017

Interactive Tim Holtz Snowflake Spinner Card


It's time for a new challenge at Frilly and Funkie and our hostess Suzz has chosen the theme Trick or Treat.  She says, "I challenge you to create a vintage or shabby chic project with a trick or treat.  If you are feeling funkie you might want to incorporate a trick in your design or if you are feeling frilly you can incorporate a treat.  The trick or treat can be anything from a hidden pocket, unexpected design element, a treat hidden in the card or an unusual technique used on your project.  Make sure to include in your blog post a description of your trick or treat!"


I cut a 4.25 x 5.5" panel from watercolor card and embossed with the Tim Holtz Tiny Dots EF.  I sponged Evergreen Bough and Salty Ocean lightly blending so that there was more light green on the inside and darker blue on the edges.  I flicked with water and then traced and cut out the template.


I created a template for you to use if you'd like to CASE this card.  Please make sure to credit back to this post if you use the template.  :)  Print the template 5.125 x 3.4375" or 5 1/8 x 3 7/16".


I prepared my other die cut elements.  I layered my Distress Glittered snowflakes with foam tape.  I cut the Wish die from red glitter stock.  I cut the treeline and lined it up, fussy cutting away the excess and sponging the bottom lightly.  I wanted a slight red boarder, per wisdom from my sweet Logan.  I needed to cut out the center, so I used a rectangle die and saved the inside panel for another project.


I cut a sheet of kids craft foam slightly smaller than my panel, then traced the template again and cut out.  It was necessary to cut out a lot of extra so that the penny mechanism would fit inside of this section.  Test and make sure a penny is smaller than the width of every section of your cutout.


Sorry, but I forgot to photograph the backing panel.  I embossed the snowflakes along the edges then sponged to coordinate with my embossed panel.  I lightly sponged toward the center so that the little window left in the spinner slot would blend in with the overall design.


I ended up adding a silver backing snowflake to coordinate with my silver glitter stock mat.  To assemble the mechanism, just add a circular (must be circular) foam dot between your snowflakes and a penny.  Glue all of the layers together, nestling the penny in your craft foam cutout.


I couldn't resist adding a treat to go along with my card trick, ,so I made a coordinating little lantern filled with peppermints. 


I'm thinking this will make a great teacher's gift set.  I made a little video to show you how the card looks in all its spinning glory.  I truly hope you've enjoyed this project and are inspired to join our current challenge.  One lucky winner will receive a $25 voucher to the Funkie Junkie Boutique!



Find these festive cardmaking products at the Funkie Junkie Boutique today!




I'm also sharing with:

36 comments:

Marianne said...

Such a fun card, Autumn.

kiwimeskreations said...

What a fun, and stunning card Autumn - love that the snowflake is your spinning element
Blessings
Maxine

Helen Wallace said...

Amazing Autumn. A bright and super fun card. Thanks for sharing the details about how to create this piece of magic. Your work is truly remarkable and you are so generous with the process you use. Thank you.

LilArtsyWoman said...

Beautiful card and the interactive piece makes it even more special.

Suzanne C said...

Well look at that gorgeous card! I love that you made the snowflake spin and that you made a trick and a treat!!! Your little gift box that goes with it is gorgeous! I love the serene icy blues with that fabulous pop of red and that you made the spinner area red!

Marjan said...

Looks wonderful, the video is a nice idea and shows that the spinning is so smooth!
Wonderful vibrant card!

Margaret Mifsud said...

Wow!! What a fun card Autumn .. and so gorgeous too!! Love the embossed background .. so pretty!! The little spinner is just fabulous and I love the matching lantern box. Thank you for sharing the process!! hugs xx

Cec said...

What a fun card with the snowflake spinner. Love all the blues and then the wonderful pops of red. Your little treat box is adorable.
Hugs!
Cec

maria f. said...

So pretty (love turquoise and red and white) and fun too!

Mona Pendleton said...

Beautiful projects! Love the winter wonderland interactive card! So very pretty!

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

I love anything interactive! This looks so fun! The embossing on the background is fabulous!

Susan said...

This is the cutest spinner card I’ve ever seen! Great tutorial too.

Mac Mable said...

Such a clever idea on the challenge theme. Interactive and fun and with the extra peppermint treats, whats not to like? x Amazing and fabulous....Thank you for the inspiration x

Esther Asbury said...

You're a master at creating beautiful backgrounds with distress ink! Love the fun slider/spinner and the lantern full of peppermints! Such a gorgeous set!

Lisa said...

So gorgeous!! I love the snowflake spinner!! The background looks amazing!! What beautiful colors!! Fab, my friend!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Linda said...

Lovely gift set. So pretty. Thanks for joining us this week at Merry Monday.

Debbie said...

Your card is absolutely beautiful, and then adding a spinner puts it over the top! Love it!
Thanks for playing along at Christmas Card Challenges!
Debbie ~ CCC DT
Debbie's Dash of This and That

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

It's been ages since I last made one of these fun spinner cards, and now I want to get all crafty and make another! I love the idea of falling snow...so clever. Gorgeous colors and such beautiful inking. You are such an inspiration! Hugs!

BożenA said...

Wow! Beautiful Christmas card. I love moving snowflake, I imagine this movement on the card. Cool tutorial. Thank you.
Thank you for joining our challenge of HLS.
Regards,
BozenA

Redanne said...

I love spinner cards and this one is gorgeous, I love the beautiful background you created and the snowflake looks amazing! Hugs, Anne xx

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

What a cool lantern gift! Perfect with that wish card!! Thanks for playing along with us at Merry Monday this week!!

Kate Yetter said...

This is so beautiful! A lovely wintery scene.
Kate

Jane said...

Spectacular slider, such a fabulous idea. Thanks for playing at HLS Christmas challenge.

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

This is fabulous Autumn, love the fresh colours used. Hours of entertainment with this creative spinner card as the Video clearly shows. The Lantern is a super addition to a Teacher Treat. Sorry for my absence visits recently, I've been trying to catch up with Christmas makes.. (Sigh..!)
Warm Hugs Tracey xx

sarascloset said...

Beautiful card and I love your colors!!!! Great little trick! I've only got a minute for a peek, but I'm be back to soak it all in! Was looking for your MGT projects, but I'll be back for that, too! Hugs!

Mary Anne / MA54K said...

Gorgeous backgrounds, and I just love the snowflake spinner. I must give this a try!

Julia Aston said...

What a fun and creative design Autumn - and beautiful blues for winter! That little lantern is adorable for treat gift giving!

Tracey said...

Wow...your card is fabulous Autumn, what a fun design..pretty colours too!

Susan Powell said...

What a fun card! Thanks so much for joining us at Christmas Card Challenges.

samantha's cards said...

Lovely card, thanks for joining us at CCC.

Notes by Nina said...

Great projects, I love the sparkle. Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday.

sarascloset said...

This is so durn fun! It's fascinating to see that snowflake spin, and I'm still trying to figure out how you did this! Your candy filled lantern is really 'sweet' and I will forgive you for filling it with SUGAR FREE mints! You are brilliant, my friend! Hugs!

SewPaperPaint said...

You may forgive me, but I won't forgive my daughter who I sent into Dollar Tree to pick me up the mints! Yuck! Funny enough, I had gone to two other dollar stores and every store was out of regular peppermints! Ugh! I gave up and just went with it! :)

Dorte said...

Fabulous Christmas card with the spinning snowflake,such a lovely project! Thank you for sharing with us at ABC Christmas Challenge! We hope to see you again!
Dorte x

Anonymous said...

Lovely card and I love the little box too! Thanks for joining in with our challenge at ABC Christmas Challenge,
hugs Samantha :0)

Jenny Marples said...

What a treat Autumn!!! I love how you've used the spinner design with the snowflake so it flows across the snow scene. And a matching gift box too! Anyone would be thrilled to bits to receive this xx

Popular Posts