May 6, 2017

PaperArtsy DIY Rusty Canvas Box


Have you ever wanted to make a your own rusted metal box from cardboard as a canvas for your art?  Me neither, until now.  And now that I have, I wonder why I haven't been making my own box canvases for years...  Hmmm...


Look at that rusty texture.  And it was soooo easy to produce.  I'm sure I could have layered more, but with very few DecoArts products I was able to achieve this look and was quite happy with it.


What started out as a card or a small collage ended up as this 3D freestanding art project.  I chose my favorite "Found Object" for this round of PaperArtsy challenges, a frozen lemonade mix lid.  I gessoed it black, then added DecoArt sand texture paste with a palette knife.  I then layered fluid acrylics to achieve the color.  I loved it and decided to use it to frame a paper doll I'd make with my Lynne Perrella stamps.  :)


I cut apart a metal flower for her "crown."


I layered her onto a favorite Gelli print.  The print was so amazing, I didn't add much else.  To the sides I attached a patinaed Clipola and a strip of Tim's burlap cord.


Then I wished I had a canvas just the right size to frame my little collage with, and thought why not make my own.


So I started at one corner of a thick sheet of greyboard and traced my ruler on the left and bottom, it was about 1/5" thick.  Then I laid my collage onto the middle and decided how much space I needed for it, then measured ruler marks around that on the top and right.  I cut off the excess then put the panel in my paper cutter and lightly cut into the lines.  Score lines wouldn't do with such thick cardboard, hence the light cutting.  I applied masking tape all over the seams to hold it all together, then used the same rust treatment I had used on my juice lid.  When everything was dry and set, I glued the box to a black backing board.  It is very light weight, but looks very substantial in real life.  I will definitely be making this type of "canvas" again in the future.  I hope you like it!


Are you in the mood for lemonade now?  Here's my favorite recipe, which I always made for my dear Grandmother.

Lemonade Berry Tea
1 Frozen Minute Made Lemonade Juice Concentrate
8 Wild Berry Zinger Celestial Seasonings Tea Bags
To prepare:
Mix lemonade as directed.  Add tea bags and allow to sit overnight.  Remove tea bags and serve.  YUM!

I'm sharing this project with:
(Inspired by the Chunky Lynne Perrella Canvas HERE.)

31 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

Just AWESOME Autumn!

Mac Mable said...

Clever idea to make your own 'canvas'. The gelli plate background is gorgeous and you've popped on fabulous elements to make this canvas so unique, artsy and clever x Glorious as always x

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic project, love the rusty look, and that drink sounds wonderful, too. Have a nice weekend, hugs, Valerie

Linda Simpson said...

WOW this is stunning!
Hugs
Linda xxx

Lisa said...

Wow, Autumn, this is amazing!! The texture is phenomenal!! I just want to reach out and touch that rust!! The layers and details are spectacular!! And yum!! That lemonade sounds delish!! Thanks for the recipe!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Artmadnana said...

Oh Autumn, this really is a wonderful assemblagevvi love the rusty lid. That's amazing. Your Lynn Perrella stamp is just perfect as the focal image.

Donna Ellis said...

Wow! Mission accomplished, Autumn! Very rusty indeed! It's a beautiful project with all the richness of earth tones, and touches of man's technology throughout! Your textures are amazing! hugs, de

Brenda Brown said...

You made a fabulous canvas for your gorgeous art it really makes it stand out. I love the grungy layers and the rusty lid, it all came together beautifully xxx

geezercrafter said...

This is something I would like to try, very inspiritional, also looking forward to trying your recipe!!

Cut It Up Challenge Blog said...

Wow! What a gorgeous work of art. Beautiful style and perfect for our challenge!

Thanks for joining us for our Wings challenge at Cut it Up!

Evelyn
http://mylittlecraftblog.wordpress.com

Hazel Agnew said...

A tremendous creation Autumn, and all set off with your clever frame! Xx

Janis Lewis said...

Very pretty. Thanks for sharing at Let's Craft and Create.
~DT Janis

Corrie Herriman said...

Fantastic !

Scrappin Sue said...

Wow this is awesome I love rust
Thanks for sharing at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenges x

Helen Wallace said...

A new fave for me Autumn. You really are an inventive crafter. Love, love the rusted metal look you've achieved here. TFS

Willy said...

Beautiful!!!

sarascloset said...

Thud, pick me up off the floor, please! Autumn your rusty crusty canvas and the rusted frozen LA lid are fabulous and look as if they've been spending time in my garage rusting away for years! Awesome collage and a yummy drink recipe! Thank you for the tip on how to make the box frame! Now I can get rid of all those boxes I've been hoarding! Ha! Sending hugs, my super talented and creative friend!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Autumn this is great. I love the rusty effect and the colours too, perfect. Have a great week, Angela xXx

Susan said...

This is awesome! I love that you made your own "canvas." I've made chunky ATC "blocks" before with empty soap boxes. I love all the grungy, rusted goodness.

AO Creations said...

Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Cut It Up, good luck!!! Amy DT

Marty F said...

That box really does look like rusty metal! What a great idea to make this to display your canvas on - must try this sometime. Love your gelli print and your stamped image and how you took apart that metal flower - great idea since a lot of them are so big. Just amazing as always, Autumn! Hugs :-)

Sammy said...

Oh wow! wow, wow, WOW! I love this! The colours, the texture... Just delicious! (and the lemonade sounds it too! lol)
Thank you for sharing with us at Altered Eclectics this month. Sammy-x

Astrid Maclean said...

I am here for a little catch up and all I can say is wow!! Stunning canavas with amazing layers and finished to perfection, I just love how you used that LP stamp, stunning!!

Nancy Hill said...

Love your vintage box frame. Just amazing and love the layers. Thank you for sharing your beautiful project with us at Let's Craft and Create and can't wait to see your next card or project with us soon. Nancy Hill, Design Team for Let's Craft and Create

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Oooh, my kind of stuff! Ingenious how you made our own box frame. Loving that rusty look. Must look into that sand texture medium!

Brigitte said...

Amazing box (or canvas ?) ! I love your texture and colors. Thank you for your participation at Sandee & Amelie steampunk challenges.

Denise van Deventer said...

The textures and layers are just amazing! A fabulous result! ;-)

Words and Pictures said...

The earthy colour tones and lovely textured layers look fantastic on your handmade rusted canvas, Autumn. What an inspired idea to make your own substrate - thanks for sharing all the details.
Alison x

Anonymous said...

woha comme toujours c'est magnifique !Merci Autumn de jouer avec SANDEE & AMELIE'S à bientôt NATE

Claudia N. said...

Awesome, Autumn! Using boxes like a canvas is so much fun and yours looks so beautiful - noone would guess its humble origins! Just perfect! And thanks for the lemonade recipe - it's finally starting to get hot over here (yay!) - so perfect timing! ;)
Thank you very much for playing along with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

Hugs,
Claudia xxx

crafty-stamper said...

WOW fabulous project love all the texture and the rust looks amazing
Carol x

Popular Posts