Nov 25, 2018

Tim Holtz Farmhouse Wreath Christmas Card


Does anyone play Design Home?  It's a fun little decorating app that I'm addicted to.  It's also the only game I ever played on my phone, or probably ever will!  Anyway, this fall there was a eucalyptus filled vase that seemed to make every room I designed sing.  He he!  I decided I wanted to use the Tim Holtz Layered Holiday Wreath Bigz die in a similarly colored palette.  I grabbed this die last year and haven't used it, so joy joy the thrill of breaking into old/new stuff!  :) 


First, let me say this whole card is paper and ink.  All of the layers are stamped and not from Tim's paper stash.  I used Tim's Dots (and Floral), Plaid (and Nordic) and (Stripes and) Holiday Type, all stamped in Black Soot Distress Oxide.  Now, for the greenery effect I repeatedly dipped my two wreath panels in watered Distress Inks: Crushed Olive, Peeled Paint and Pine Needles.  Then to add that "waxy finish" to resemble the eucalyptus look I was going for I dipped the panels in Distress Oxides: Shabby Shutters and Iced Spruce. 



I layered the two cutouts together, slightly offsetting the pattern, then pulled the lower panel leaves through to the top and curled all of the extended leaves.  I colored the bow with Antique Linen and Frayed Burlap DIs.  


I'm soooooooooooo thankful to finally have one of Tim's Bigz XL alphabet dies.  I love the new Letterboard one he came out with this year.  This one is from last year's release and is called Storybook.  I cut one layer from black chipboard, then a second from burlap paper and glued them together.  I'm really happy with how  it turned out and love the modern/farmhouse color scheme.  (The card base is white, though the colors are slightly off in the photos.)  Wishing you joy this holiday season!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

17 comments:

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

A real joy to see Autumn, no pun intended and a good feeling to use those unused craft items that we all have in our stash just waiting to be loved.
The wreath is wonderful and speaks for itself in design. The burlap covered words are a warming touch how lucky to have that within your collection.
I can just see faces light up when they receive one of your treasures.
Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and are now in full prep for Christmas, they come round quicker & quicker with each year.
Sunday Hugs Tracey xx

kiwimeskreations said...

Love, love, love this - the colours and textures are fabulous Autumn.
Blessings
Maxine

Marjan said...

Wonderful card, love the mix of materials en lovely colours, different but very effective!

scrappallino said...

Dear and sweet Autum, how can I tell you how much I like this card?
It's really beautiful with an incredibly adorable color combination,
and then, the colors of the wreath is simply amazing!!!
Your cards are always beautiful, but at Christmas they become even more beautiful.
I would like to receive them all, but do not think it's possible...right? LOL!
I'm terribly late this year with Christmas cards, I think I will find myself at the last moment to produce cards day and night, but luckily I'll know where to find inspirations!
You are great Autumn!
Hugs

Margaret Mifsud said...

What a gorgeous card Autumn! I love the background!! Amazing that it was created just with inks and stamping .. fabulous!! The wreath is stunning .. Love the colours used .. and I love the burlap used on the sentiment too! Absolutely fabulous make!! Have a womderful day! hugs x

Mac Mable said...

What a stunning wreath. I have never seen the die but wow you've used it beautifully x. Great layout on your stunning card, with wonderful colours on that wreath. The font on the sentiment looks fabulous too and I am now on the look out for burlap paper as I don't enjoy using real burlap, as it is too messy for me! Thank you for the inspiration Autumn x.

Helen Gullett said...

Wow what a beautiful Christmas card. I love everything on your card, Autumn.

Beulah Bee said...

I really appreciate the unconventional combination of colors and textures in this project--it is very artistic and unique!

Stacy said...

This card is so beautiful!!!!!! I love it and love the farm house feel to it!! All the layers created with the stamps really make it pop! And I’m going to have to try that effect on the wreath. ♥️♥️♥️ As always, your card is inspiring to me. Thank you for sharing and happy holidays to you too my friend! Hugs!

craftytrog said...

Beautiful festive card Autumn! Xxx

Monika Gulyas said...

Beautiful card, Autumn!!! I especially love the colours of the wreath, the bow on top and the burlap letters!!! Big hugs!!!

Helen Wallace said...

Goos to read that you have liberated an older die and pressed it into service. The results are quite lovely. Wreaths and tartan always look lovely for Christmas. The bold hessian word finishes it off to perfection.

Kate Yetter said...

Farmhouse is the perfect description for this card. I love the muted colors and composition of this card.
Kate

Redanne said...

The burlap 'joy' looks so tactile and I just love the gorgeous wreath! A stunning card! Hugs, Anne xx

Theresa said...

This card intrigued me from Tim's video when I first saw it. Such a creative use of the wreath die. thanks as always for sharing,.

Dorthe said...

So wonderful an autumn card, the wreath looks amazing and so beautiful the die cuts the burlap -
love how the wreath is 3 dimentional, and your "story" behind it .
Hugs Dorthe , xo
Sorry for being absent, I have had things to take care of.

sarascloset said...

Just lovely! So pleased all your layers are stamped and not just design paper. Love how you've made your wreath! Joy in burlap is pure well...JOY! Hugs!

Popular Posts