Aug 19, 2021

Darkroom Door Enchanted Doors Postcard Altered Book Cover

 

Hi everyone!  I'm so excited to be sharing my finished altered address book cover with you today!  I've been working on this journal for a couple of years, just taking my time and enjoying the process, and have finally altered the book cover.  I used chipboard to make the pages, replacing the old paper.  You can see all of the pages thus far HERE.  I have one more spread left to do.  It was complete serendipity when Darkroom Door released their new line of postcards, because the Enchanted Doors were meant to be my focal point for this book and I'm so glad I waited!

These postcards make great ephemera for your journals and mixed media. I gave mine a good sanding and distressed the edges, then dipped it in Distress Inks in Vintage Photo and Weathered Wood, stitching along the edges.  I layered over torn lace and made a faux closure with some tattered ribbon and one of my Grandfather's old keys. 

I chose a pair of paper dolls to coordinate, because I had used a lot of paper dolls throughout my book and they work so well with the doors.  They were also sanded and tinted with Peacock Feathers and VP Distress Inks.  I used gesso and Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays to tint the linen cover of my book, then made faux stepping stones with crackle paste through the Arty Circles stencil.  I sanded it some once it was dry to create highlights.

I used the word blocks from the You Are Everything stamp set and added handwriting around the postcard with a white Posca.  I added a cancellation from the Global Postmarks stamp set to further grunge up the door panel.  The brass medallion was a gift all the way from India, sent along with a handmade journal by my friend Remya.  It's a treasure to me!

I really hope this project has given you some ideas for using your new Darkroom Door postcards.  I know you will love them as much as I do!  xx, Autumn

Find more inspiration on the Darkroom Door blog!


I'm sharing with:

Simon Says Stamp Wednesday: Add a Sentiment!

Let's Craft and Create: Polka Dots and/or Stripes

Country View Challenges: Monochromatic 

17 comments:

crafty-stamper said...

Fabulous cover and love the vintage postcard and great texture
Carol x

Creaine said...

So nice this!! Thanks for joining us at Let’s Craft and Create Challenge. Hope to see you again next time.
DT Ine http://creaine-cards.blogspot.nl/

Valerie-Jael said...

This is really amazing and incredible! Hugs, Valerie

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hello sweet lady, loving your new photo. The journal cover is great and the pages too, popped over for a peek. The postcards look like fun and very useful, love how you've used yours. Wishing you a very happy and creative week, Angela xXx

My name is Erika. said...

That's a gorgeous cover Autumn. Those are great postcards from Darkroom Door, and the one you chose makes a great background for all those details. You should link it up to Art Journal JOurney and our TYPE challenge this month as you have those words. Enjoy the rest of your week. Hugs-Erika

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Autumn this is stunning - loving that postcard and the way you have treated it, and then mounted it up - so many details and so much texture. The cover is a work of art in itself!
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Mac Mable said...

Tons of inspiration and one very creative and fabulous project and great use of the postcards x. Thank you autumn for stopping by my blog and leaving such a kind and friendly comment, which I really appreciate x.

wannabcre8tive said...

Your card is fabulous. I love the sweet image and all the fab details.

craftytrog said...

Wow! You are so talented Autumn! Your altered book cover is simply stunning. I love the distressing and those sweet girls!
Hugs,
Alison

Susan said...

Gorgeous cover! And an amazing book.

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

I call this the classic Autumn look - it's so unmistakably you in its awesomeness - and your newest excursions into bullet journalling and vintage collages have same quality about them!

Sue said...

Autumn this is absolutely beautiful! What a great idea to sand the postcard, what a difference it makes. Take care and have a very happy weekend, Sue xx

Craftyfield said...

Such a gorgeous piece, Autumn! I love the colours and textures, the Vintage and Distressed look! Thanks for playing with us at Country View Challenges this month.

nwilliams6 said...

Beautiful! Wow. I totally love this! Great ideas here!!!!! Hugz

Monika Gulyas said...

What a beautiful vintage book cover, Autumn!!! I love everything about it!!! Thank you for joining the August challenge of the Country View Challenges!

Karen said...

Loving all your projects lately Autumn! This one is especially cool, love your use of color & that postcard... your book collection must be epic!

bockel24 said...

wow, so many amazing details in all your pieces, and great colour combinations! Thanks for visiting my blog and introducing me to yours!

Popular Posts