Jun 30, 2018

Tim Holtz Framed Patriotic Patchwork Quilt


Hi again!  I'm back today to share a second Tim Holtz 4th of July panel.  I had an idea to do a quilted background with Tim's Stitched Square dies and am so happy that it worked out!  To me, quilts scream Americana!


I had updated my sofa pillows and created a coffee table vignette and thought this panel would tie in perfectly.  For those who wonder about the Sew in SewPaperPaint, the red pillow covers were sewn by me.  I use french seams on my pillow covers so I can wash them.  :)  I found the blue printed pillows on clearance at Pottery Barn and the gingham at a discount store in our town.  


I used the cut out letters from THIS sister panel for today's project. 


To arrange the "quilt blocks" perfectly I first cut a watercolor panel to 5x7".  Then I marked a pencil line straight down the middle.  I cut 15 squares from Tim's Correspondence paper stash.  The trick was to use wet glue so the pieces can be wiggled around as needed.  I used Eileen's Tacky Glue and it worked great.  Once all 15 pieces were in place, I cut the excess from the sides and used those little pieces to fill in the gaps around the perimeter. 



I glued my 1" Alpha Numeric letters to a piece of heavy vellum and stitched the border.  I wanted a transparent panel so the blocks would show through, but the letters would be defined.  I glued the stitching to the quilted panel.  I cut the bow from Tim's Festive Greens die set and sponged it with Fired Brick DI. 


And here she is atop another sewing project, a fringed linen table runner, which you can see in more detail on my Tim Holtz Tea Party Invites post HERE.  :)  I needed another frame, so I picked up this faux weathered wood frame from the Dollar Tree and it worked perfectly.  Make sure to check out my other Dollar Store craft projects HERE.  Here's to wishing you and yours a safe and festive 4th of July celebration!  God bless America! 


13 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

What a lovely plaque Autumn - and I love your cushions too - I don't so much sewing now, although I have a project to make some more pump bags for the local hospice this winter.
Blessings
Maxine

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

This has got a lovely homespun feel to it and very patriotic, indeed!

Marjan said...

Your background really did work out beautifully! Your panel is wonderful! Love the sofa with the pillows and that coffee table with the panel on it does tie it togheter. Well done!

Paula Cheney said...

I LOVE THIS! What a clever way to create the background. The vellum is perfect for the center portion. Just beautiful!

Betty4 said...

Just perfect! I love your patriotic creations. Happy 4th.

Wendy B. said...

I agree, quilts scream American and you have captured the feeling perfectly!!! What a great addition to your decor!!! xo xo

ann barnes said...

Wonderful decor piece Autumn! I love how you have nsde the background pieces give the quilted effect! Awesome. Thank you for sharing.

Susan said...

Great companion (and use of leftovers) to the other piece. Love it! Your cushions are lovely too.

SD pooja said...

Beautiful quilt look !

Lisa said...

This is so gorgeous, Autumn!! The quilt background looks amazing!! The stitched vellum is fabulous!! It looks so beautiful on your coffee table vignette!! Love it!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Redanne said...

Your sofa cushions look beautiful and I really love your wonderful patriotic quilted picture, the Correspondence papers quilt beautifully and the delicate vellum makes the letters stand out beautifully too! Hugs, Anne xx

sarascloset said...

Great idea to use the stitched square dies to make the quilt squares and you've used my favorite papers! Another genius idea to layer the letters over the vellum, stitched, no less, so those beautiful patriotic patches show through! Your pillows look fabulous, too! Happy 4th to you and your lovely family! Hugs!

Sherrie K. said...

Beautiful wall decor! I love your creations!
Have a great evening!
Sherrie K

Popular Posts