Jun 17, 2018

Tim Holtz Tropical Handmade Flower Garden Card


This is the day that the Lord has made!  I hope you are well this Sunday morning.  I'm taking some much needed time away from work and our family is planning a little trip to the coast.  Thank you so much for your sweet comments and prayers.  Everyone is healthy again and I think some fun in the sun is just what the doctor ordered at this point.  Today's card features a flower I made for my friend Carol's Instagram party a while back.  She videoed me while we were together and shared it in her feed HERE.


The flower reminded me of this beautiful tropical plant I photographed last year at the beach so I decided to pair it with greens from the Tropical die set.  I played and played and ended up adding this sweet "garden club" lady who reminds me of someone special.  I cut the Archway die to frame her and layered with a piece of Worn Wallpaper.


My favorite part about making flowers like this one is that you don't need stamen!  


I was really pleased with this lush combination.  Mostly, with the colors I developed for the leaves.  I used a surprising combo of Bundled Sage and Evergreen Bough Distress Inks with Iced Spruce Distress Oxide.  The flower was dyed with Wilted Violet and Milled Lavender.


My main background panel is watercolor paper with two opposite corners cut with Tim's new Mixed Media #5 thinlet die.  I wanted a subtle pattern, as not to compete with the flower.  To stain the edges I made a very watery bath of Wilted Violet then spritzed my paper heavily with water and ran the edges through the bath.  The ink bleeds inward and gives a lovely, soft edging.  I blotted with my baby wipe for an even softer look.  I lightly sponged a second sheet for a backing, then die cut the archway.  I added soft stamping in the other corners with Milled Lavender using the label from the Victorian stamp set.


I mounted my Small Talk sentiment onto scraps of the Worn Wallpaper and layered over Tim's beautiful crocheted lace.  And there you have it, Mrs. Lucy arranging her flowers in her garden club finery...


Visit The Funkie Junkie Boutique today:

19 comments:

Mukta Parvatikar-Maniar said...

Hey Autumn....this card is so cute. Love the flowers in the center....well made. Thank you for sharing.
Hugs

brenda said...

A totally delightful creation Autumn and such a meaningful sentiment.

B x

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

A fabulous card, Autumn! That violet with the yellow/green works wonders and I adore your tattered flower. I really need to learn how to make those! The sentiment on your card really got me thinking as I find myself in limbo job-wise again. I will now look at uncertainty as an opportunity for good things to happen! Have a lovely time away with your family! xx

Preeti D. (aka Dutt Preety) said...

gorgeous card :) i love all your mixed media creations, so many wonderful details and beautifully composed. happy sunday !!

SD pooja said...

It's very beautiful ,I loved the layered BG and the lush bloom pops beautifully on it !

Dorthe said...

Awsome, dear Autumn- so very beautiful, in that fantastic color, and with the gorgeous white die, as background- love it !!
Hugs from Dorthe

Diann said...

Autumn, I'm Diann, Jeri's sister and I've been looking at your beautiful ART for a long time. I remember meeting you in the NC mountains and I always think how talented you are. Love this grand card! diann

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

Such a pretty card and love the colors! The flower is beautiful. I make something similar by just cutting our circles, spraying them with water, scrunching them up and then letting them dry.. then put the brad in the middle. I do love the ones you did with the petals! Your cards are always so detailed and I love every bit of it! Happy Sunday... Marilyn

Mac Mable said...

The flower you made is stunning. Love the scene you made on your fabulous card and enjoyed reading your post and how the card came about...wonderful inspiration. Thinking of you and your family and make memories whilst you are away x

Lisa said...

I'm so glad you are all feeling much better, my friend!! Fun in the sun is a wonderful idea :) I absolutely love, love your card!! It's so stunning!! The flower is amazing!! I love the TH Thinlet die you used and the colors!! It's a tropical beauty!! Wow!! I love, love this!! Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I am always in awe of your stunning flowers Autumn, your creations are ever inspirational, just like those chosen words.. Perfect to start a brand new week.
Good to hear all is good with you and those close to the heart. Enjoy your family time for it is the most precious of things.
Creative Hugs Tracey xx

Marty F said...

I'm so glad to hear everyone is healthy at your house and that you're taking a vacation. Enjoy your time there and soak up the sun! This card is beautiful and your flower is especially. I've watched that video and need to keep watching to learn your technique. Using the mixed media die to cut out part of the background is such a gorgeous look that I love. I'm positive your Mrs. Lucy has the best flowers and garden in the club. Hugs!

Vicki said...

Simply gorgeous card, Autumn! The flower is stunning! Beautiful vibrant colors.

Marjan said...

I am happy for you that health has returned! An wish you and your family a lovely time and much "fun in the sun:) Relax ....
LOVE your card, the colours are lovely and subtle and the flower you made beautiful. A beautiful composition and background too.

ann barnes said...

Autumn, this is gorgeous, as always! I do love how you paired that flower with the tropical leaves! Every time I see a rose of Sharon flower, that’s my first thought (so glad I am not the only one!) I adore the colors you have chosen for this wonderful card! Hugs! Ann xx

Amelia Breytenbach said...

Beautiful vintage card Autumn. I love the stunning flower and all the pretty details.

Jackie PN said...

So happy to hear all are well again- prayers are wonderful!
Lovely card and purple being my favorite color...mmmm it works so well here!
Enjoy your vacation!

sarascloset said...

Ooooh, how in the world did I miss this???? What a stunner, and dare I say, a NEW favorite! Love, love, LOVE the lavender/purple, and on closer inspection, that luscious color combo on the tropical leaves! I'll say it again--STUNNING card! Sending hugs! (I hope you enjoyed your vacation!)

maj. said...

Your card is brilliant!!!

Popular Posts