Apr 13, 2023

Studio Light Vintage Roses DIY Block Mini Album Tutorial

 

Hello everyone!  You may remember that I ran the Mini Album Makers Challenge Blog some years ago before my daughter was diagnosed with leukemia.  Well, I've always had a passion for making books and love sharing the process so others can craft along.  I hope this post inspires you to do just that!

This mini album tutorial features the brand new Vintage Roses DIY Block by Studio Light (SL-ES-DCB44).  This pad is absolutely GORGEOUS and I just had to do a whole book with it.  I'll be sharing projects from the other new DIY Blocks very soon, but this one is my favorite.  


I started by creating my signatures.  I wanted to use 8.5 x 11" paper and chose heavy kraft paper.  I cut one piece to 5.5 x 11" and scored it at 5.25 and 5.75".  I cut a second piece to 5.5 x 10.75" and scored it at 5.25 and 5.5".  I used Studio Light's Highly Tacky Craft Tape to adhere the smaller piece over the larger in the gutter, burnishing all of the folds and tape well.


Next, I made my covers and spine from chipboard from the back of a Bristol paper pad.  I cut the two covers to 5 5/8 x 5 1/2".  I cut my spine to 5 5/8 x 3/4".  A handy trick for cutting chipboard without a fancy paper cutter is to save an old blade (I mark mine with a sharpie as OLD) and cut one side at the right measurement, then flip the chipboard over and cut the back side at the right measurement.  If there is any slight discrepancy, just use a sanding block to smooth the edges.  



I used the patterned paper in the DIY Block to cover the front and back covers.  There are two sheets of each pattern, so I used both of these floral pattern sheets for both covers.  I left a half inch overlap and wrapped the paper, mitering the corners and using Highly Tacky Craft Tape to adhere.  For the spine portion, I used regular tape to secure a 1/8" gap between the covers and spine, then I wrapped cloth adhesive bandaging around the spine, starting with the inside and wrapping around both sides.  I used my bone folder to burnish the creases, then masked off the edges and painted the tape pink with craft paint.  I really like how this worked out!  


Finally, I used patterned paper to cover the inside of the covers, cutting it 1/4" smaller than the finished covers and making sure to adhere my sari ribbon closure between the paper layers for a finished look.  I then secured the kraft paper signatures to the spine, over the painted cloth tape, with more Highly Tacky Craft Tape.  

I made this book just for fun, but the designs could easily be adapted to showcase 3x3" photos.  I included pockets for the pretty tags.  I layered with the new Jenine's Mindful Art Lace Border Set (JMA-FOF-CD515), which went with the shabby look of this paper.  




I cut my pages down 1/4" smaller than the kraft paper pages and distressed all of the edges.  I tucked some paper folds beneath the paper before adhering.  This one has a snippet of a vellum quote from the Llama Mixed Media Paper Pad that came out last quarter.  It was too perfect not to use here!  See how I used that pad HERE.  




I love adding torn crocheted lace to my shabby chic projects.  I got this lace from the local craft store.  




I used my Text Background stamp (SL-ES-STAMP369) on my pages.  This stamp works with everything!  Sometimes you just need a little something extra...



Here I used the butterfly to hold the tag flap in place.  It folds out to reveal even more of those pretty elements.



My layers are definitely dimensional!  That's why I leave a 1/4" gap between my pages, but I will say that you can use the range of Studio Light Dimensional Foam Tapes in different thicknesses (.02, .04, .06 and .12") for just the right amount of depth in your layering.  I used the .02"  foam in a lot of places so I wouldn't add too much bulk.  


I really hope you've enjoyed this mini!  I'll be sharing a flip through on my Instagram page soon @sewpaperpaint.  These paper pads launch Friday, April 14, so make sure to grab yours while they're available.  xx, Autumn


Other Products Used:



4 comments:

Linda Simmons said...

This is just gorgeous! Awesome work! Spring, Spring, Spring - YES!

kiwimeskreations said...

Wow and wow again Autumn - this is absolutely gorgeous with such delightful papers and details
Blessings
Maxine

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous album Autumn, love it. Hugs Angela xXx

Gloria L said...

You are definitely the queen of layering!

Popular Posts